24 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the link Carry On. 

It confirmed my opinion on urologists ...I couldn't express it fully in polite company. 

The urologist in the article said he thought PAE was unnecessary because a pill (Flomax I presume) could achieve the same result...reducing number of times to get up at night. 

What a stupid stupid statement. If that was the case why are they doing TURPs and Lasers when a pill could fix it????

The real reason he is telling people to hold off with PAE's is that PAEs will decimate urologists incomes. 

I used to merely dislike urologists but now I'm starting to despise them. 

• Posted

I think in many cases Dr Levy genuinely believes a pill is a better option and I don't think you can fault him too much since this is so new and he doesn't know much about it. Most good Urologists don't rush you into surgery. I don't think he claimed pills cured you, just helped with symptoms. Maybe he wouldn't say they didn't have side effects if he himself had to take those pills himself ... lol  ... yeh probably he doesn't really want to find out about PAE - when I told a physician friend about my PAE the first thing he said was "If this works that means everyone will be doing it instead of TURP etc" He WAS quite interested being a GP..lol

And thanks again Caringbah for connecting me to Dr Schlaphoff and Dr Catt in Sydney it's been only 6 weekls since I had the PAE and I am already sleeping better, get up once or twice now instead of 3-4 times a night and flow better.

• Posted

Just want to 2nd caringbah's view that pills ARE NOT the answer.  Further, finasteride (the shrinker), not only reduces blood flow to the prostate, but to most other areas of the body.  My feet were cold, hands tingled, etc; a heart attack or stroke waiting to happen.  Beyond that, the bladder in size and becomes more rigid..... not good.  I had HoLEP 3 months ago and am 98% back to normal.  Big relief.  However, if I had it to do over again, I'd probaby try PAE first.
    • Posted

Yeh Finasteride shrinks everything, including libido. Pills not the answer but can be OK for a few months while you decide what to do or have to wait for surgery.
    • Posted

I agree Mike...pills are only a VERY short term solution, Looking back the pills only gave me slight improvement. The PAE on the other hand pretty much completely reversed the symptoms. 

Mike, I know you had a good experience with a urologist who acted ethically, but my blood boils when I see stuff like what was in the article. Such a shallow response. The urologists must think their patients are stupid and don't do their own research. Then again I suppose they get plenty of patients who don't and just do what doctor says. 

• Posted

Dr Schlaphoff told me most people who want to do PAE are smart people with inquiring minds, like IT professionals for example :-)
  • Posted

For whatever its worth I had a PAE back in June of 2014.  It did not work for me but thats not to say it would be the same results for you.  I also had the UROLIFT in mid 2015 and it didn't work for me either.  Iam still "searching" for the next "Latest and Greatest" thing to do.  Exploring the REZUM and also a company called SOPHIRUS has an injectable drug called PRX302 that Iam looking into.  I currently just take 2 Bladder drugs called Mybetrig (Really Expensive) and also a drug called Oxybutin Chloride of which neither one really works either. 
    • Posted

Chuck maybe it's worth going to Australia and they will do an MRI and CT Scan and try and figure out why the first PAE did not work. When you say it did not work, are you saying the Prostate remained the same size? Or are you saying you have to pee frequently? Or the flow is restricted? I know someone who had the Urolift, he said the flow improved a lot, but he still had to go frequently because his bladder was damaged. What works for him is he self catheterizes and that voids his bladder so he is OK for at least 4 hours. It could be your bladder will settle down if that is the issue, don't give up. He says he got used to the catheters and it wasn't a big deal.
  • Posted

The article has a postivie tone but I was disappointed with some of the results ie: after 3 months 28 of the 38 men reported less symptoms, reduced occaisions of getting up at night from 3+ to 2-.   

The means that 25% had their arteries embolized but got no benefit.

Without going into a statistical analysis, and without knowing exactly what 'more than 3' and 'less than 2 means' and about 3/4 of the men got up once less at night.  

If my understanding is correct, I'm disappointed in the results.

• Posted

Dr Glen Schlapoff of Liverpool Hospital in Sydney reports much better improvement than test. He says that 90% of his are successful. I had mine  nearly a year ago and the imorovement just continues and I can easily go 4 hrs without urinating which means only once a night getting up. 

Chuck im sorry that yours was not successful. Despite that you've been a great help to many of us here and I'd like to thank you for that. 

• Posted

It's not only how many times you get up. Before the PAE I had urgency sometimes and also a lot of pain sometimes standing there trying to urinate especially if I had waited too long. That is mostly gone now, not perfect but after 6 weeks very encouraging. I have done the PAE, not read about it and I am defnitely not disappointed I did it.
    • Posted

Mike, I can tell you stories about urgency. Before I had the PAE I had severe urgency..never actually peed my pants but cam close many times.

I drive a lot in my work. In Australia, CSR ( a big sugar company ) sells caster sugar in 3 liter clear wide mouthed plastic bottles with a screw top The container and sugar costs $5. I'd throw the sugar away and the bottle made a PERFECT urination bottle...better than the hospital ones.

I perfected the art of mobile peeing. I'd pull up at a red light when I was busting to go, quickly unzip myself and jam the bottle between my legs.....sweet relief and no one was any the wiser. 😀

• Posted

I forgot to mention that the bottles had a handle as well...like I said...perfect!
    • Posted

I could of used one of those when driving back on I70 after skiing stuck in the traffic! I usually had an empty coffee disposable cup handy but once or twice I "missed" and I felt humiliated and was going into depression about the whole situation.
    • Posted

Mike there were many times that I actually looked forward to getting a red light. 
    • Posted

Not many red lights on the way back from Vail :-) But I hear you I know exactly what you mean ! What a way to live!
    • Posted

Sorry Mike...I only read the first half of your comment about missing...didn't see the second half of your comment till later. I didn't mean to make light of your situation. 
    • Posted

Once got stuck in a car full of people, in the front passenger seat, I turned towards the door, put an empty coffee cup in my lap and ahhh!! sweet relief.  No one saw.

A congressman on a flight didn't do as well a few years ago waiting on line for the bathroom, he had to take a cup off the food card and pee in front of every one.  Then he had to read about it in all the papers. 

• Posted

There are quite a few clinical trials underway in the US now, and I'm sure we will read about other reults as they are concluded.  For me, the very good news is the relatively low downside compared to surgical options, and I find positives in the article.

Still, at this time - and for the past three years - I am doing self cath.  My retention numbers have improved with increasing from 3xday to 4xday, and I'm going to ask my urologist for experiment with cutting out at least one, and maybe both meds I have been using for years (Avodart and Uroxatral).

• Posted

Oh the humiliation JJ

I live in Australia but am visiting my daughter who lives in New York. I have visited lots of US cities but what stands out about NYC is the distinct lack of toilets. And if you find one there is invariably a queue.

It's definitely not a BPH friendly city.

• Posted

You pretty much have to know where the next hotel is.  Or a restaurant that lets anyone use the restroom.

They even closed most of the subway restrooms.

I'm living outside Buenos Aires now and there aren't even hotels and very few  fast food places or gas stations.   

Clearly the city is designed for young people or older people with private limos.

• Posted

FWIW 

I found an app called "Flush" that will show you the closest toilets to where you are currently. There may be other apps out there. 

I know it works in the USA, and I am currently in Madrid and it shows bathrooms around me here too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.