PAE in New Mexico?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm considering a job in Albuquerque, NM. Does anyone know if the procedure is available there? I had the procedure at St. Louis University Hospital in 2015, but the IR was only able to embolize one side, and my symptoms have returned. I'd like to make another attempt, but I don't want to go back to SLUCARE.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Nothing near Albuquerque that I know of; however, Dr. Isaacson at UNC Healthcare and Dr. Bagla in Alexandria VA have doen the most in the US.
    • Posted

Dr Bagla is now in Woodbridge, VA at the Vascular Institute of Virginia.
  • Posted

Sorry for the return of your problem.   

Alot of us have had symptoms return but before trying another surgery we are looking at the possiblity that our bladders have been damaged and need rehabilitation.  There is no information out there so we're kinda trying to find solutions on our own.

Some are trying cathing to give their bladders a rest.  I'm having some success with retraining my bladder to empty every few hours.  You can see some of the comments on other PAE posts.  My thread is "My PAE Today".

Just something for you to think about.

Good luck, Jeff

• Posted

I had the PAE procedure on Oct 28, 2015 at The UNC at Chapel Hill, North Carolina.

I was on two flomax a day and by the first week in Jan I was taking no flomax and peeing as well as I did while taking two flomax a day. It has been almost a year since I quit flomax and still doing about as well as I did Jan 2016.

My PSA in Jan 2016 was 3.4 and in Oct it was 4.9 and then again in late Nov. it was 5.7. I was placed on a 21 day antibotic schedule. After the 21 days it dropped to 4.2.

I also had a free PSA test which indicate a 26 percent rating which is very good. Anything over 25 percent indicates less than 8 percent chance of having cancer. So I am hopeful the increase was only an infection of the prostate.

I expect to have to do the PAE again at some point in the future, but so far so good.

• Posted

Hi, Ramblin,

I had my PAE done by Dr. Charles Nutting with RIA Endovascular. They are located on the south edge of the Denver metro area. He did my procedure last June.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Hello Rambling and all who chimed in.

Dont know of any docs for you, but have been hearing a lot about Dr. Bagla.

I too am currently looking for some kind of treatment,  had urolift 2 yr. ago and that is now history.    Been thinking bout PAE,   I'm 58 and do self cathing,   I hold consistently 400-450 CC after urinating normally which where I only void 100-150 CC,     So basically it takes about 600-650 CC before I feel like I have to go,   So pretty obvious my bladder has been over expanded too many  times and have that to consider as well.  

Just wondering ing if when you had it done were you any where those numbers and if so did the PAE work for you?

Thx!    Anthony.

• Posted

This is an options you should at least call and explore. It was Focal Laser Ablation and it is save, little to no blood, totally non invasive to the urethra, does not preclude any other treatment, and provides permenate solution. I can send you my pictures if you want to see the prostate. My prostate was large. I went to Bagla and isaacson before choosing this procedrue. Now my results..

Twenty days post op and set some new achievements. This week my volumes have increased dramatically. I went from 75-100 range to now I am going 250 to 500 each trip. Flow is really good. I am enamored with the flow as I have not seen this in years and it is hard to believe it. 

My nighttime trips have gone from eight a night down to two a night and last night was a FIRST! I did not get up to pee all night until 6:16 am. I am pleased but also know that I can expect some relapses over the next month or two. WHY? It is just what sometimes happens “ebbs and flows” with any procedure is the natural recovery rate

Dr. Kara man ian told me that the period I am in now is called “reforming”. He said it is where the prostate is taking on a new shape as the laser voided area are clearing out the tissue and collapsing inward to form a smaller and new shaped prostate footprint. Those of you that ask for and received my MRI before and after pictures can look at those and see where this might happen. Dr. K says it will just get better over the next 60 days. He is still encouraging me to ejaculate but I am not ready just yet. I can still feel the swelling and I don't want to deal with a disappointment right now as I am so happy. I will wait until next week. He says it will be fine. I know that the recovery for TURP surgery is to wait 2 months to ejaculate in that procedure. He assure me that all the sexual equipment is there and in good shape. I know the erection part is fine and I was experiencing that since day 3 post op. 

Dr. K once again told me that they usually do not take out as much tissue as they did with my prostate and the recovery is easier. I did not tell him but I did not think my recovery was that difficult??? I think I was surprised that the retention  I was having from the large prostate pushing up into my bladder was relieved so well from the tissue removal. Emptying the bladder feels so good as it had been a longtime since I had felt that relieve.

They removed the protruding bladder tissue, they removed a suspicious spot that was in active surveillance for the prior year and a half and the removed three channels along and on three sides of the urethra to free up the stricture that was pinching my flow down to nothing with the BPH.

• Posted

Certainly encouraging to hear of your success!

How much were you consistently retaining after voiding?My current retention volumne is pretty much the same as what yours was before your procedure.

What is your age and how long have you been dealing with BPH?

• Posted

about 150 to 200cc.

65 years old prostate volume 125cc pushing into the bladder dealing with BPH for about 10 years. Got bad the last 2 years. Started traveling to investigate and meet doctors in Urolift, PAE, FLA, Geenlight, all over the country. Visited Bagla, Isaacson, Busch, Walser, Roehrborn, Karamanan, Sperling in their respective office. I studied several options before I made a decision. I think the key is getting the right guy Doctor K and Walser are turly amazing.

• Posted

Hi, J,

Wow! You really did some major research! Glad FLA is working for you. I did PAE and still have a large median lobe pressing into my bladder so I may consider this in the future. Right now I'm trying to rehab my bladder tone. Did your insurance pay for the FLA? What was the cost to you? From what I understand, FLA is being used for prostate cancer treatment, and using it for BPH is relatively new.

Stebrunner

• Posted

Excellent results.  Keep us posted!

Did you have an enlarged median lobe?

What was your condition pre-procedure?  Had you gone in to acute urinary retention?  Were you on a catheter?

I realize your not at this point yey, but do you know if there are typically any sexual side effects associated w/ this procedure?  Retrograde ejaculation?

Did the procedure require anesthesia?  What type?

Thank you very much for letting us benefit from your experience.

• Posted

I forgot to tell you ramblin that the procedure was totally pain free and they use a sedation that is like a colonostopy. I actually remember nothing. I left right after the procedure went out to eat with my family and i went to NASA the next day and toured the property for a full day as John Glenn had just passed away with week before. 
    • Posted

J,

in a nutshell, what is a FLA?   I am kind of against removal of the prostate tissue which is why I chose the urolift (which has ran its short course), and possibly a PAE.    

BeIngs how your choice of a doctor was in Houston how many trips did I you have to make before the procedure?    Any follow up trips??

thanks.  A

• Posted

I had mine by the most experienced doc in US Dr Bagla. He is at vascular institute of Virginia and he has done more than anyone in the US and has only failed to get in the artery in less than 1%. That's why I went to him

This is something you should make sure you go to the best for!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.