PAE in the UK

Posted , 3 users are following.

Is there any where in the UK to get PAE done and if so what are your experiences? I am aware that there was a trial ongoing at Southampton hospital but that they only needed a certain number of volunteers. Did anybody get on this trial?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I think there are some on here who were on the trial in Southampton.

If you live in Southampton there is a posibility you could get it done on the NHS apparently and also the same in Oxford.

As far as I am aware your private choice is Southampton Spire hospital with Dr Nigel Hacking, I was quoted £6000, plus CT,MRI, Consultants fees and anything else they feel necesary or, Dr Ross Tapping ay Manor Hospital Oxford, I spoke to him the other day regarding the procedure and seemed a nice guy, cost there was £5300 plus CT, MRI and all the other odds.

They were the only ones I could find in the UK

BTW southampton has done over 200 apparently and Oxford 60.

• Posted

The trials were held at 10 UK centres.

If you google UK ROPE Register Study you will get the list. Presumably some will now be doing the procedure after the trial.

• Posted

Looking at that and it appears my local hospital was involved in the trials.

How very unprofessional of my urologist not to inform me, especially as I asked him about the procedure.

Don't suppose I should be suprised.

• Posted

I had the same problem with Old School TURP urologists telling me that laser surgery was not and never would be done at their hospital. It was t two or three years later when I was seen by a locum urologist who had not been given the pro TURP script. He told me that one of the team had been doing it Thulium/Holmium laser for five or six years and referred me to him. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.