PAE Procedure is good for how may years ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had PAE Thats starting to ware off whats the average time span before you need to have it redone ?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Nobody knows for sure. According to one recent review paper, in 80% or patients positive effects last 3 years, and up to 6 years in 75% of all patients. Blood supply to prostate is restored slowly due to the vascularization (new blood vessels growth and restoration). Not much worse than many TURP results, which often requires another TURP in 5 years. Of course everything varies from patient to patient. There is no much harm to repeat PAE, except for an radiation dose and price tag.   
    • Posted

Oh.  I was assuming it, when it worked, was kind of permanent.  Hadn't occured to me the vessels would just grow back.  Still, 6 years+ (your quotation is at least 6 years) ain't bad.  I've a hunch holep beats that.  But PAE has its advantages. 

• Posted

If I remember correctly, the durability of HoLEP is more than 10 years. There are several HoLEP studies with a thousand patients and with > 10 years of follow up. These studies show that the reoperation rate after HoLEP is about 2%. Within the follow up period, Qmax, PVR, IPSS, .. seem  stable.

another parameter is patients's satisfaction after HoLEP. In one recent study HoLEP has 90% patients' satisfaction rate.

• Posted

Yes, my Uro said (I being 49 at the time) that it may well sort me for life.  But (as he also noted) the long term data doesn't exist yet as invented c. 2002 I think.   I don't like to over-evangelise the particular procedure that I had, and so was perhaps understating it.  And yes, you have to look hard to find a Holep patient for whom the basic issues of rate and frequency weren't solved by it, except where there were non-prostate factors involved. 

• Posted

I have been trying to find out how long will it last but can't find anything but I would think if it work it will last until the prostate starts to grow again and starts to give you a problem  Ken 

• Posted

Hello

I just read about a brand new  new system to  shrink your prostate. It was just today in the newpapers.I will investigate more.

I works a follows: a sonde will be put into the prostate 1 centimeter deep ( about half an inch ) Then the system will shot boiling hot steam of 103 degrees celsius  for ten seconds into the prostate.

This procedure will disolve the prostate tissue and the body will get rid of it. The operation will take not longer than 20 minutes.

• Posted

How is that not a description of REZUM ?   The daily mail carried a FRONT PAGE PIECE on this 4 or 5 weeks ago, saying it was a TOTALLY NEW discovery. But it's been around for years. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.