PAE radiation exposure

Posted , 5 users are following.

Im doing some continued research about the PAE proceedure. My symtoms are mild compared to others.. i can sleep through the night on most nights but have a slow stream and retain urine.

Qmax 8. Anyway, im considering the PAE but I read recently that the radiation exposure is quite high. Like equal to 200 chest xrays. Anybody in the know about this or is it exaggerated? Thanks

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease; your  symptoms seem pretty mild to be contemplating surgery.

• Posted

True,  I have time but I don't want to wait until i'm miserable to get it done. Why should I?....But you're right. I don't want to do it too early ... Especially if there's a lot of radiation involved that I don't need.   I don't know if I'd call it surgery either...in the traditional sense...No real cutting etc...   That part seems like a piece of cake.      

• Posted

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they used an MRI to do PAE

• Posted

I don't think so: a flouroscope is used. See my other post to tgt111.

Rich

• Posted

At least with Dr Bagla at the Vascular Institute of VA, I believe that figure is very exaggerated. Here is an email I sent before I had the procedure along with the reply the reply I rec'd. I won't put the link to the to the flouroscope that he uses as the moderator might not let this post go through. If you'd like the link, PM me, and I will send it to you.

MY EMAIL TO DR. B's OFFICE:

I know from a previous email that you said that the radiation involved for the procedure is less exposure than a typical CT-scan study. I'd be interested in knowing what modifications Dr. Bagla has developed (or uses) that allows for the reduced radiation. I assume that he uses some form of Fluoroscopy.

THE REPLY I REC'D:

THE FLUOROSCOPY UNIT WE USE ALLOWS FOR REDUCED PATIENT DOSE.

HERE IS A LINK ABOUT OUR UNIT: 

• Posted

From what I have been reading here in these forums, the PAE procedure does not always help, or if it does, it might last a year or two. A couple posts I read, the men were allergic to the beads and their body went into systemic allergic reaction to the beads and were chronically taking steroids for this reason. If you do this procedure they should test your body for an allergic reaction to whatever is in the beads. Personally I would look to some other solution as this one seems to be mostly temporary at best. But please continue with your own research as you may reach a different conclusion. All the Best.

• Posted

Hi Jon,

I have information that is somewhat different from yours.

Re: how long PAE might last. There was a study presented in DC by Dr Pisco about 6 mos ago that had excellent results for PAE going out 5 yrs. If you're interested, I can post the study summary here, or PM a link to the entire study.

Re: allergic reaction to the beads. I've been following the PAE discussions here for quite some time, and there has only been one man who had this unfortunate reaction. He's posted at different times in different discussions, so perhaps you thought it was two different men. I've spoken with a very experienced PAE IR doc, and my understanding is that this type of reaction is extremely uncommon.

Rich

• Posted

Something to keep in mind with message boards in general is that negative people tend to post more than positive people. Nothing wrong with negative opinions. We want to hear it all but positive result people kind of fade away. Which is a shame. Its the same on all sorts of forums. I think over all the PAE procedure is a great option. The majority of people are helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.