PAE Trial

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am scheduled to do a PAE in Mid March. This is going to be done by a radiologists who has done over a thousand embolizations on women and is now venturing on prostates. Unfortunately this is the only option I have for now. Otherwise I have to do a turp or green light surgery. We are eight men selected to do the trial. There is going to be a well know radiologist who has done over 100 PAE's who will be guiding him on this procedure. Out of the eight I am number two in the queue. I am a bit anxious and any opinions are welcome.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Where is the trial being conducted?
    • Posted

Hi Derek

it is being done some where in the US, but for some personal reasons, I cannot give out the information.

Patrick

• Posted

Pat I hope all goes well for you.  PAE has less side effects.  Good Luck  Ken
  • Posted

I think you are fortunate to be a participant in the trial. I have hope for this procedure and I believe you will benefit from it. It seems far superior an approach to the alternatives. Wish you the best.
  • Posted

Patrick, don't worry about it. I was the third guy in Australia to have a PAE  and it was very successful. 

Interventional Radiologists are trained and capable of embolising ANY organ in the body. The prostate is just another organ ...it's not like a brain surgeon suddenly deciding to switch to heart surgery. 

Their skill ill is in finding the artery that leads to the organ in question then Injecting the pellets and embolising it. 

Relax ....plus they're got prostate experienced guys surpervising. My guy didn't have anyone experienced supervising. 

• Posted

Is this the same as the Goren Gath procedure done in Israel. based on faulty venous valves increasing the concentration of testosterone on prostate. How can I get into this. I am going nuts. My prostate is always inflamed plus it grew and is stopping my bladder from emptying. I like the Goren Gath method because it makes sense to me. Although I am almost 65. I lift weight intensely. I noticed when I do a very vigorous workout, my crazy prostate is swollen and feels inflammed for a week and the pain  a dull aching will not go away. They have done 2 biopsies and PSE stays about 5.4. So I am afraid to lift weights something I can enjoy. I do the diet they say is important, I eat cabbage, other cruciferous vegetables, drink green tea, do not eat meat with chicken and fish rarely. But it does not help. it feels like you have a swollen thumb between your testes and anus. It feels numb . Can not get erection. I do not know what to do. My urologist says he does not like to use Avodart; and so I am stuck. I might go to a university setting like Case Western or Hopkins. Any thoughts anyone?
    • Posted

First, you need to get a diagnosis. A high PSA, the pain and numbness, and impotence are symptoms, not a diagnosis. A good urologist should be able to find out what is causing all of this. Yes, you should go to a good urologist, and a good university is a good place to find one.

If the problem is simply a large prostate, explore PAE and Urolift on the Web, and on this site. Do not let a urologist talk you into a TURP. A turp is done by an interventional radiologist, not a urologist, so no urologist will ever recommend a PAE BECAUSE THEY MAKE NO MONEY ON IT. The turp has awful side effects.

Neal

• Posted

He wants to hollow out the core of the prostate with laser thru the penis.

But yes most see so many guys with the same problem; they just get everyone into the same treatment and yeah money is probably way up their as to motivation. Human beings have flaws. I would like to go to Mayo or Case Western.

• Posted

I had a uro-lift done and it worked for me.  Being looking at some other procedure for a friend. Look into TURIS Less bleeding and Retro Ejaculation is non existent   ken
    • Posted

Hi Neal,

I think you mean a PAE is done by an interventional radiologist. 

cheers

• Posted

Hi Kenneth, I had a quick look on Google for TURIS. Most of the stuff I saw was put out by Olympus the manufacturer of the equipment. Taken at face value it does seem an improvement on conventional laser treatment in that it vaporizes prostate tissue rather than cutting it.,

It stil involves removal of prostate tissue whereas PAE shrinks the prostate. 

They talk about less bleeding wIth TURIS whereas PAE has NO bleeding.,

I would wait to see what the outcomes are for real patients before I decided to go that way. Most of the stuff I saw online was press releases by Olympus. 

• Posted

I will have to look more into it.  But it's seams like it's better then a Turp.  At least there no retro orgasm I still like to know how they can say that.  If they start to burn away at the base of the prostate there is a small muscle there that stops the sperm from going into the bladder  I did watch one of the videos Make sure you get all the information you can  Ken 
    • Posted

Yes, go to one of those places and find out what is wrong. The hollow out with a laser is just one kind of TURP. One guy on this site is still bleeding from one six months ago.
    • Posted

Yes,you are correct. The TURP is done by a urologist, and is their bread and butter. The PAE is done by the Interventional Radiologist. I miss typed it. Thanks for catching that .

Neal

• Posted

hello Partrick,  i am curious to know if you had the PAE by a radiologist and what has happened to your group of 8 since ?  big change in symptoms ?  sleeping, still peeing all night,  sexual issues ?  plese share any info .. for so many of us this is so tramatic. 

thanks

Robbie 

• Posted

Hi Robbie

I havent done it yet. Doing it next week on the 11th.

Thanks

Patrick

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.