PAE Vs Urolift

Posted , 9 users are following.

can anybody tell me can you get urolift after PAE? WHICH one would you do first? Need you opinion thank you in advance DRUMMER10

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doc but assume yes you could get Urolift after PAE. PAE simply reduces the overall size of the prostate and doesn't disturb the urethra in any way that I'm aware of. You are thinking of it correctly that PAE should be tried before Urolift. PAE has an 80-90% success rate if your prostate is larger than 80cc. If smaller also look at Rezum which is more invasive but a simplier procedure than Urolift. Also, to my knowledge Urolift is not covered by Medicare or insurance while the others are. Good luck.

• Posted

My Urolift was covered here in AZ by Medicare. I only incurred my impatient co-pay.

But the PAE is not covered here.

• Posted

I had a PAE in 2015 which did not work (they only got to one side, and didn't inject in the prostatic artery even on that side). I had a urolift in Oc of last year which did not work. I am in worse shape than before the urolift and have experienced an incredible amount of pain. I am scheduled to have another PAE this month, as technology has improved and I am using a different IR. All have been covered by insurance, although the PAE is very expensive and my copay will be $7000.

• Posted

Update: I had the PAE via the wrist on 5/28. The IR was not able to get to the left side, but the right side was fully embolized. I will go back in a month or so to get the left side done, which will be femoral access. I have noticed an improvement in my flow and a near elimination of the pain which I have had since I did the urolift. My nocturia has also improved - I was up 7 - 8 times per night prior to the PAE, which is now 5 - 6. Given that it is only a week old, and only one side, I am encouraged.

• Posted

i had urolift and it worked great and my insurance covered it.

• Posted

pae first but can be done after. i had asked my doctor that question too. also,the clips from the urolift intefere with MRI imaging too, so keep that in mind If you’re getting this procedure.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.