PAE w/ Dr. Bagla 9 Days Ago (Nov 2019)

Posted , 16 users are following.

I used the experiences a several men who posted on this site to make my eventual decision to have PAE done and have Dr. Bagla do it . I thought I would recount my experience in hopes it might help someone else.

I am 55 y.o. and I've had gradually worsening BPH symptoms since my early to mid-forties. While I was never in as bad shape symptom-wise as many stories I read here, it affected my quality of life and I wanted something done. For instance, I could always urinate on my own, never had to cath, I just had a weak stream and a frequent urge to go. Sometimes when I hit that bathroom, I would pee out literally a couple of cc's of urine and that was it. Other times, it was a "normal" amount. I could never tell how full the bladder was based upon how the urge felt.

I highly endorse Dr. Bagla. Professional, courteous, competent. The staff is efficient and competent. Like another post I recently read, I really felt like I was in good hands.

Because of my height (5' 10"), Dr. Bagla gave me a choice of having the catheter inserted in my wrist versus my groin. He said it made zero difference to him in terms of difficulty or effectiveness. But the benefit to me was a better recovery. Less restrictions on walking post-procedure. I chose the wrist. Side note: I was at the upper end of the height range to choose the wrist because of the length of catheters available.

Day 1, I walked out of the office and felt more normal, not groggy or drugged, than I have with any other surgical procedure. They use a 'twilight' sedation versus a general anesthetic. Didn't feel much, if anything, day one except I was winded, out of breath, walking back to the hotel after dinner. I had to stop 3 times to catch my breath.

Day 2, I began to notice my urine stream was noticeably stronger. Not working with high pressure yet, but definitely an improvement.

Days 3 and 4 were the worst, recovery-wise. I had an unrelenting urge to pee, even if there wasn't anything in my bladder. It was worse sitting than standing. So, I stood for 3 - 4 hours in the airport waiting for my flight. I ran out of pain meds for the urination Day 4 (Sunday) and had to suck it up until Monday to get another Rx. This was the worst of it for me. In hindsight, it was not that bad. I may have had a little blood in my urine initially but it's hard to say because the pain meds turn your urine a deep orange-ish yellow.

I am now 9 days post procedure and I feel normal. Stopped taking the pain meds day 6 though I could have done without starting day 5. My stream is stronger but I still get up at night a couple of times to pee. I do believe I evacuate more urine from my bladder during the day so that is an improvement.

Why I chose PAE: Every other procedure I read about mutilates the prostate and requires a catheter. No thanks.

Also, I may change urologists. My former urologist retired so they assigned me to a different doc in the practice. He's really young. Probably a smart, knowledgeable guy. But he was really negative on the PAE. He really tried to persuade me not to have it done. He kept pitching Rezume. My assumption is he pitched PAE as a negative because he couldn't do the procedure and make a buck off of it, not because it was best for me or what I wanted. Being more charitable, maybe he's just not knowledgeable about PAE? I don't know which it is, but I don't think my well being and my wishes were upper most in his mind. He would have happily mutilated my prostate with a laser if was willing. Again, no thanks.

I am happy to update this as I put more time post-procedure behind me. Also willing to answer any questions.

Mark

0 likes, 60 replies

60 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Mark, why is recovery better through the wrist? Just seems like the groin would be simpler.

• Posted

I already had a Valium in me when the doc came in to present me with the option so I'm a little fuzzy on the rationale. I do remember he said recovery would be simpler. Part of that was a restriction on too much walking afterwards.

My mom was sitting there when the conversation took place. I definitely asked Dr. B which method he preferred. He said he was indifferent and equally comfortable with either method. But my mom felt like he was gently steering me towards the wrist without being willing to come out and say it. If that is true, then some kind of liability consideration. Either way, it worked out well and I'm happy with the procedure, the wrist site, and the doc.

But it might also be due to the device they used to close up the hole in my artery. For my wrist, they used a compression air cast. Every 15 minutes, they used a syringe to release a little air until the wound clotted.

Maybe that is more difficult on the leg since it is of greater circumference? Don't know. Speculating. The nurse also told me there were multiple methods to close the wound so maybe they wouldn't use the compression device. Don't know.

• Posted

I had PAE and aquablation, I tried Rezum but would relax enough so they aborted,

I am doing great, Dr Bagla was awesome and so was Dr Klein at Potomac Urology.

Peeing like I was 15 years old. no medications, pain and blood in urine for a couple days from aquablation but the combination with PAE apparently causes less bleeding.

Three weeks post and very happy, I had mid lobe and median size prostate.

• Posted

Hi Joe,

I went down to Potomac Urology. Also talked to Dr. Klein with a telephone visit. The office seems dysfunctional. No one communicates with the patient. I can't get anywhere with them. I know Dr. Bagla and he is a good doctor, but Potomac Urology he is affiliated with is terrible. Glad it worked out for you. I don't know what to do at this time.

• Posted

Hey Joe

Trying to get some information. You said that you had a PAE and a Aquablation. How was it done. Was it the same day or did they give you a few days to see if that got the right veins

Also did you talk with the doctor before he did the mapping. Did you end up with retro or did they avoid the ejaculatory duct. To me it looks like they get rid of the whole prostate

I know that it is around 6 month's so how are you doing now. Is everything still the same. I have talk to other men that had the Aquablation and they went dry after 3 month's

Hope all is well. God Bless....Ken

• Posted

I am almost exactly 1 year post-procedure and the PAE did not work for me. I had some initial improvements in my urine flow but it was short-lived. Now, I am exactly like I was before the procedure: get up 2 - 3 times in the night and have an urge to go frequently.

I'm glad it works for some. I was really surprised it didn't work for me.

• Posted

Anyone know the cost of this procedure out of pocket? I have Kaiser, and so my only options for prostate health are through a urologist.

• Posted

Glad it is working for you. That is very true. Doctors will push what they do that is where there money is.

All the best...Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.