Pain 18 months after gallbladder removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

Please help or say I'm not the only person suffering! I suffered really bad with pain before my gallbladder removal in May 2016 for 12 months after I was fine everything was back to normal then in May this year I noticed what was like a dull ache that sometimes turns to a sharp pain just under my right rib that sometimes travels around into my back and up as if it's in my breast this has happened quite a lot since it's not a very bad pain but it is a nagging pain you know is there one time oct 17 the pain stayed there all day I went to a+e they told me it could possibly be acid reflux they gave me gaviscon and omeprazole and within 15 minutes I was doubled over in pain with what I can only describe as the same pain before my gallbladder was removed straight in the centre just under the ribcage the pain was excruitiating they gave me morphine which didn't really help the pain subsided after about 20 minutes but returned about an hour after for another 20 minutes I have had an ultrasound and an MRI which have shown nothing I am awaiting a camera down my throat i have also been prescribed omeprazole buscopan and cocodamol now I just feel like my whole life is on hold I don't know what to do for the best I really hope someone can give me some advice I'm living in fear of this pain please help!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hello kayley, well im realy sorry to hear of your discomfort,ref after gb removal, are you sure you havent got some thing else hit you, keep on with your doctor to try and sort, im now 12 months and still not right,i have continuous aching in stomach,cant bear anything tight around me, learning to live with it at moment,i have had a ultra scan shows my upper muscles hasnt tightened up, ?? having to do deep breathing ,but nothing strenuous, take it easy, 
  • Posted

Hi, I’ve just come across your message and wondered if you have any answers yet? 

Your story is similar to mine. I had a full hysterectomy in Feb 2016, I caught sepsis and apparently the surgery aggravated my gall bladder and the pain was awful! Dull ache high up under rib cage then turning to severe pain. The pain seemed to come and go like labour pains with only a few seconds between. I have omeprazole, morphine, zapsin and buscopan. I don’t think the pain killers actually do anything although I take them just incase and out of desperation. I’ve had MRI, CT scan and camera down my throat, all clear??!! I’ve now been referred to UCL in London. It’s a mystery? 

• Posted

Hi,  Unfortunately post gallbladder removal you will still form stones - they jut won't collect in the gallbladder anymore...

You will still need to follow a careful diet, but there is a procedure to widen then end of the bile duct which will help them to pass when they do form.

Sorry it is not better news, but I have had the procedure and several family members have too - and this has been our experience.

Good luck x

• Posted

Thank you for letting me know that. That’s interesting to know. I have an appointment at UCL soon so let’s see if they suggest that? 

• Posted

Are you pain free now then? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.