Pain 3 weeks after microdiscectomy L5S1

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello my name is vanessa i am 23 and just had a microdiscectomy.

My lifestyle before my surgery was very active. I was a retail manager so my job was physically demanding. I also ran and did strength training between 3-6 days a week.

I've had lower back pain since i was a child. Especially working retail. When my job was closed for corona virus i was spending alot of time sitting around. I began going for runs outside where before i ran on a treadmill. I also had a terrible mattress that hurt my back. I noticed my back was hurting but assumed it would go away as it had before.

So i went for a run. The next day i woke up in a lot of pain in my lower back on both sides. I took some ibuprofen and did some yoga. It continued to worsen. I tried to keep a balance of being active and also resting. I kept doing yoga even though it really hurt.

My pain continued to worsen until it was in my thigh and my calf. One day I woke up in so much pain i was throwing up and passing out. After that my entire foot was numb and my right side of my right leg. I began seeing a chiropractor. Slowly my feeling returned to most of my foot except the right side. My leg numbness continued.

I really had no pain, only numbness. After several weeks i got an MRI. They told me I needer surgery.

I had no pain until recently. After surgery I had pain from the incision and swelling but still no nerve pain. My numbness continued with no improvement. Two weeks after surgery i had no pain at all but was still numb. I was excited.

I started working, I got an office job. I noticed some swelling or a lump near my incision but not under it. I called the doctor they said it was fluid or scar tissue. Still no pain but some spasms in my back and leg.

Now I'm a little over three weeks out. My back hurts like it did when i first hurt it. Maybe less, its manageable. I move around and sit okay, its just achy and tight i guess. I'm so afraid I've herniated my disc again i've been crying every day and having panic attacks. I will contact my doctor Monday but since I had no pain like this before or after surgery i'm terrified.

Any idea what's happening?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.