Pain 3 weeks post hip replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi my daughter is 16 and 3 weeks ago had an uncemented total hip replacement. She is still in a considerable amount of pain, is this to be expected?

Thanks Vicki

4 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Oh dear poor kid. I was still taking 25mg codeine +400mg paracetamol(Tylenol) at 3 weeks. Sometimes I even doubled that. IMHO it is a bit early yet to cut back. My hip was nowhere near as bad as your daughter's. When the time is right rather than just stopping you can cut one codein pill in half and add an extra Paracetamol. Keep those codeine pills around because if I really stressed my leg even 6 months later I would take half a codeine pill, not regularly but like 2 or 3 times I needed that in order to knock the pain down enough to sleep.

3 weeks is early, I still had a lot of pain at 3 weeks.

• Posted

Hi Vickie, It can take a good while for things to settle down! Even now I get twinges of pain.But as I am a carer its not easy for me.! Regards Amanda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.