pain 40 years after having appendix removed

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ho been reading up on appendix stump pain and wondered if this is what i have like 41 yrs later?  had a womb op in pulling dropped womb back into place in when i was only 25. Surgeon told me they removed my appendix whilst they had me open as it was apparently looking very inflamed and didn't want to risk me being rushed in again and opened for more surgery. made sense at the time. Now in 2018  ive been experiencing pain on the right lower side like an intermittent stabbing pain and a dull ache. Research has taken me to the stump appendix problem with people being left with a small stump which can cause problems years later along with bowel problems which im getting too. has anyone else experienced this at all?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Go back to your doctor and push for a CT or  abdominal ultrasound.  It may also be neuralgic pain because nerves can get disturbed during surgery.

It could also be gallbladder since your pain is rightsided.  Also ask for a pelvic ultrasound to see if your womb is still in place.

• Posted

Thanks Pippa i dont think its gall bladder as to low down for this. Ive had two D&Cs in the past, two exploratory ops, was sterilised when i was 38. Dr thought maybe scar tissue or what you said due to a few things happened to  me in there but this was a few years ago. My kinesology  lady i go to said it felt like my bladder and my bowel were stuck together but doctors wont take what these people say seriously.! This pain though has been just the past few weeks and getting painful twinges like every 5 mins which last a few secs then it subsides.  Im also feeling nausea as well and bloating in the stomach in spite of keeping off gluten.  Have had a lot of stress though lately which doesn't help. 

• Posted

Push for the CT, abdominal and pelvic ultrasound to find out what is going on inside your abdomen and pelvic area.   You will find out more that way.  Neuralgic pain can be chronic and last for years.  I had a blood test injury and I have had neuralgia for three years because of it.  To find out about adhesions, you would need exoloratory surgery to identify them; scans don't show them 

• Posted

Lord. The more I read, the more ?? I have; appendix out 30 yrs ago, last two years, r lower quad "aches", have had almost every test, all good, but urology type symptoms continue, also bloating, & a general "feeling bad". R lower quadrant issues v. close to old appendix scar. I have 3 MORE tests upcoming, 2 urinary, one gastrointestinal, the capsule endoscopy. Well, we will see. If you get any further info, I'm interested.

Thx.

• Posted

Also, had a recent diagnostic laproscopy, all fine, the surgeon said.

Hmmmmmm

• Posted

I'm glad I stumbled on this, I've had the almost identical problem since 2014, it started suddenly lower right stabbing pain moving to throbbing and back, under appendix scar, chronic constipation turning explosive after laxatives, general unwell feeling, suspected hernia, after laproscopic surgery, Dr said "no hernia found, all organs look normal" almost 5 years and still no diagnosis, the best they can offer is IBS diagnosis

• Posted

Sounds very like IBS which can occur after abdominal surgery; accept your IBS diagnosis if all your tests have been negative.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.