Pain 5 months after myomectomy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 5 months post myomectomy after an open abdominal surgery and I'm still feeling pain in my right side from above the scar, right up to my belly button. It's swollen and hard at the right side and seems sorer when I've been on my feet all day. I visited the doctor who referred me back to the consultant which I'm waiting to hear back from but just wondered if anyone on this forum had anything similar? Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

For the first 6 months, I did have some soreness above the scar after exercising in the gym, especially after 1 hour of Pilates or Zumba or after long walks, but not pain.  I had 32 fibroids out by open myomectomy and was told my womb would heal in 6 months, was advised to swim to strengthen the womb.  Its a good idea you are going back to see the consultant as he'll be able to check things properly and provide reassurance.  Depending on how many fibroids you had and their position, its possible that not all the fibroids were taken out by consultant during your surgery. There are people on this site who have had that experience. Your consultant may give you an MRI scan to see exactly whats going on.

• Posted

Thank you. I only had 2 fibroids although one was about 12cm. I'll give them a call again today to put my mind at ease. Thanks again for your reply.

• Posted

I also had a myomectomy almost exacty 5 months ago. I still have pain sometimes, especially during specific movements (at yoga, for example), and also up to the bellybutton, but since I was told that it would take 1 year for everything to heal, I am consdering it normal, and just rejoicing in whatever movement I am week by week able to do without pain. 

But I never experienced swelling. It is really good that you are getting that checked, to be sure it is nothing out of the normal healing process. 

And yes, as it is mentioned in the previous comment, maybe get checked if there are more fibroids in there causing you discomfort. 

Best of luck!

• Posted

Thank you. As you say better to double check. It's always good to hear other people's experiences. Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi Nicola

I am now 12 months post myomectomy and i still get pain sometimes after anything exerting my abdominal muscles strongly.  I went to an exercise class last month and was in pain afer 45 minutes but i was being very vigorous as i was enjoying it lol.  I guess coz we cant see whats going on inside we just dont know but its always best to get yourself checked out by a professional if worried even if it is just a phonecall.  I am due a check up next month as my Consultant was unable to remove all my fibroids due to heavy bleeding during the surgery but i am thankful to still be here enjoying life.

Take care and all the best

Vel

• Posted

Thanks Vel. Wow 12 months after. I saw my consultant yesterday and he basically said it's normal and is muscular. Could possibly be a blood clot which needs to absorbed back in the body. He is not concerned at all but I'm a bit fed up and just want to get back to normal. I think I'll just need to be patient.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.