Pain 5 months post laparotomy unilateral salpingo oophorectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

I am 33 years old and had a laparotomy to remove 12cm ovarian cyst, right ovary and fallopian tube in May this year. I had a 15cm horizontal incision.

Since the operation there hasn't been a day when I haven’t needed to take ibuprofen and paracetamol.

I have just returned to work full time but do not feel at all like I did before the surgery.

I find it painful to walk, sit at my desk and open the heavy doors at work. As the day goes on my belly swells and gets more painful and I am exhausted by the evening. I don't feel like myself and my boss and colleagues do not understand and I have found it difficult returning to work.

I was very active prior to the surgery and regularly ran marathons, cycled everywhere, went to gym etc.

My doctor has cleared me to do non weight bearing exercise and I can cycle on an electric bike for short distances and walk for short distances.

I am never without pain and discomfort since the surgery and I wondered if this is normal 5 months post op?

My doctor said the pain will continue for months yet.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks..

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hey lovely. I had the same op back in July.

I do get pain and aching but not so bad that i need pain killers. I think for me its nerves and the muscle still healing and being used again.

I wonder if maybe you have scarring on the inside which is causing the pain. Can you contact your surgeon? xx

• Posted

Hi Gilly2505,

Many thanks for your reply. I think I will contact the surgeon / consultant. I haven't had any follow up appointments with either since the operation, just seen my GP. I thought I was having keyhole surgery so I didn't have any information about the laparotomy recovery prior to the op. I don't know if this is normal or not but hopefully the surgeon can advise.

Good luck with your recovery xx

• Posted

Hi!

Yes, i went thru the exact same thing. I had 2 cysts and both ovaries and tubes out last December and i was not normal for quite a while. it took forever to not experience any form of pain, bloading - I also could not sit for long periods of time or the pain would start up again.

I am now at 10 months and feeling more normal but the scar area still bothers me a bit, just starting to exercise again. AT 5 months there is no way I could have as I was still not good at all.

The recovery time is really underestimated!

GOOD LUCK

• Posted

Hi Jackie25411,

Many thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear you have been through the same thing. It is reassuring to know that it should improve in time, my doctor has said it will take many more months until I get back to normal but I was worried my recovery was too slow and not normal for this procedure.

Good luck with your recovery 😃

• Posted

Hi i know this is an old post, but here to hoping u see it. I had a salpingo oophorectomy left over and tube removed on 10/16/20.i have had hot flashes, pain in the lower left side where my ovary was at, back pan, leg pain and stomach pain. its been 4 months!! how long did it take you to heal?

• Posted

Hi there, it probably took about a year for me to feel back to normal after the op. I still get the odd twinge around the scar sometimes and also a bit of pain if I overdo things (lifting heavy items etc). I saw a Consultant and he said the pain after recovery was due to adhesions. It's a long process to heal after that kind of op and I was completely unprepared for it.

Good luck and I hope you start to feel much better soon!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.