Pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

in pain trying to flatten leg. Hurts while doing exercise.  Shooting pains run up side of inner knee and thigh. I am assuming this is normal. Hopefully. Still working on ROM in 120 range have hit 125 a couple of times. 4 months post op

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello Robin

​I am also at 4 months post op. The last time I had pain like that was about week 9.

Are you still having trouble with straightening your knee and ROM?

I am also about 120 to 125 bend

I am wondering if you hurt yourself and have that much pain.

• Posted

Hi Ronnie! I don’t think I hurt myself but I do feel pain at times especially straightening leg which btw I have just begun doing. The PT people have focused almost exclusively on ROM and NOT straightening leg so now I am beginning to do this and it’s a bit painful. I don’t need pain meds however to endure it. When was your surgery exactly?
  • Posted

Sounds normal to me just based on my own experience!
    • Posted

Thanks. I am thinking it’s all good because it’s painful but not lime in the beginning of this journey. LOL glad to be off pain meds.
  • Posted

You ROM is quite excellent at this point.  At 4 months post-op and after 10 weeks of PT, I got to -1 / +123...at 21 months, I'm now like 0 / +135 or so...nobody measures it anymore.  Once you get past the mid-120's there's no real point in pushing it.  We don't know the limits of the devices but I'll bet they are somewhere near 140 (161 is where you can touch your heel to your butt...I wouldn't try that...).  Pushing the knee to those limits will (maybe?) shorten the life of the implant...I wouldn't chance it.  Mid 130's is just dandy for me...

Pain in the inner knee and back of thigh sounds like hamstrings.  Yes, we need to stretch them but overdoing it will cause some pain.  Yes, it could be something else, but I'd lay off hamstring stretches for a week, apply a topical anti-inflammatory (Voltaren Gel (RX in the US) is the best out there) and relax.  Resume next week...  S  L  O  W  L  Y  ...and see what happens.  Can't push a knee...slow gains...  You will feel sooooo much better at 6 months...

• Posted

Thanks so much! I need the encouragement because PT doesn’t give it too much ~ usually am not where They want me so it’s been a journey fight to please. Today will be my last PT for this year. Got too much going on with holidays fast approaching and traveling some. I will practice as much as I can though & return the first of the year. I can get to -5 on straightening but like I said they rarely measure this but I will work on this as I do heel slides. 

Thanks again! I am hoping PT goes well today 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.