Pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm 7 months post TKR, I had an manipulation at the end of March, I'm not going to lie, it hasn't been easy! Over the Last 3 weeks I've been experiencing bad pain swelling and pain behind the knee, when I walk it's feels so heavy. I'm icing and elevating and also back on my pain meds. I havnt done anything to aggravate it. I was wondering if this is normal after so long I wanted to check as my doctors want to go through the referral process again to see my surgeon which can take weeks , as I've been discharged.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi I’m sorry to hear the you are still having problems I do hope it gets sorted out soon for you

Your dr will besbld to get you in quicker to re see your surgeon roadkill to see a different one sometimes it’s better 

Stay strong keep positive 

• Posted

Hi there so sorry to hear what your going through.

When you where discharged from your Consultant, he would have written to your own doctor to tell them what he has carried out.

I was signed off from my consultant in May, but phoned my Doctors surgery to get Consultants tel no' as I need to see him and ask some questions and to get my knee checked out. Which I have done, now waiting for him to come back to me with appointment.

Im just 6 months in and doing ok apart from the continual aching around my knee.

So give it a try.

Surely this can only get better, at least we can say we've seen what 'hell' is like.

Best wishes

Sue

• Posted

Hi Susan your so right about going to hell haha, it's been awful, you take 1 step forward and 2 steps back. When I mentioned to the PT before I got discharged about pain all they say is you've got a perfectly good new joint .I was just hoping it would be less painful and the feeling of a lead weight when I walk is worrying me

• Posted

I know exactly how you feel, except Ive never had the MUA.  Everybody on here that has had it , it doesn't seem to have helped.  Im 6 months and a week po, and have a bunch of scar tissue to work out.  Im trying.... That's all we can do is try.  Im still on pain meds too.......  Hope we both feel better with no pain soon!!!!

• Posted

I didn't think it would take this long , also once your discharged your left to it , when I went for my consultation before my operation my surgeon said 6 weeks of pain then you will be fine.. If I had known I would be like this at 7 months I wouldn't of had it done , it's so long and tiring , I'm just glad I have this sight to read everyone s experiences , we are not alone lol x

• Posted

We just watched The Bleeding Edge on Netflix.  Everyone needs to watch it....  The Only thing that I can say I got from my TKR, is the fact that I will NEVER get another one or either of my hips, or anything else put into my body that doesn't belong there !

• Posted

As I’ve ssid I was told 6wks then able to go bk to work I new I would have pain but nothing like this pain from the hip to my toes ankle the size of two I take  regular pain medication due to a back injury that I have but does not take the pain from the knee away at all I make myself walk around the house and back garden without my crutch but if going out to the shops I use the crutch as not at all  confident afraid of falling I did as my dr could the implant be to big! He did not think so but I’m going to ask if I can have another x-ray because I feel it’s not right I’m  constantly rubbing my knee leg and hip as for having the 2nd knee done I don’t think so it’s not an  experience i ever wang to go through again 
    • Posted

I think 6 weeks a bit unrealistic, can’t say I had much swelling in ankle or anywhere , my knee a bit but never a lot . I didn’t push it with physio ,  also never had a feeling of heaviness , yes at 7 mths post op it’s still a bit stiff and sometimes sore but not enough to take pain meds and when walking can actually forget about it . My old one from 7 years ago I can feel now!
    • Posted

My LTKR May 2017 left my knee stuck at 45 degree extension due to scar tissue from post op complications. At 7 months I got a new physical therapist who worked with a Gua Sha tool, back buddy (both available on amazon) and JAS brace (need prescription-really works instead of MUA) to gradually break up the scar tissue over 3 months. I am now 15 months post op with full extension and flexion of 125 degrees. My left knee is strong enough to support the weak right knee. I originally planned the right knee to be replaced last September but now want to delay it as long as possible-for reasons everyone here understands. I am doing pool exercises 3X week for 90 minutes to rebuild leg muscles and it's helping a lot. 

• Posted

thank you for this info.  i jotted it down and am going to get them.  TY  glad you are better.  I am 6 mths 1 week and need more ROM.... 
  • Posted

I’m about the same time as you had it just before Xmas , can’t say I have taken pain killers for ages , just went for a walk about 4 km nothing , no swelling , a bit stiff but can’t call it pain . I would see someone , I expect you have a check up at 1 year? I do with X-rays taken , but if it’s really bothering you maybe get X-ray from GP first 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.