Pain

Posted , 8 users are following.

I’m 11 weeks post op. Aged 57 broke left ankle in three places plate and pins one side screws the other. I’m out of boot and Cast using crutches - I am on pain killers regularly otherwise I wouldn’t be able to walk. The pain around my ankle the side where the screws are is very sore even when I medicate. It feels like the screw head is pushing against the skin - anyone else have this? If so what action did you take? So fed up with constant pain 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello! I got a plate and screws as well in my ankle. Although I do not have that type of pain, I can relate to your frustration and desperation for some advice. I got my own stupid pain issue going on that I am so frustrated with. Anyway, I hope you get some guidance on your issue. Just know that someone out there understands smile

P.S. I will mention this, someone told me that if the hardware continues to be a problem to continue to complain to your surgeon about it. In some cases they can remove it.

• Posted

I am having very similar issues as yourself, same type of surgery only i also had other bones in foot broken asvwell, it seems to be 1 of those sites in particular the metatarsal base i can feel the screw / bone which gives me pain, but it's only from too much weight on foot trying to walk without crutch, so I've concluded through discussion with physio, use crutches and concentrate on getting movement as opposed to putting weight down through foot.

Hope a slightly different insight helps...

Remember, your not alone in suffering, but you still have to go through it !

• Posted

It’s 28 yrs since I broke mine in three places it was also screwed and plated. Now aged 55 just had an ankle replacement due to arthritis. The survey took all the old metal work out three months ago and put two large screws in to prepare for the replacement op. I think those screws are causing me problems. It feels like they are rubbing on the inside of my skin. I have an X-ray and appointment with the surgeon on 28/8 so will hopefully find out. 

• Posted

YES, I feel like the metal is rubbing the underneath of my skin,  my scar remains irritated and it rubs the inside of my boot.  Not sure what to do or if it will lessen over time.  I have heard of ppl getting the metal removed.  My doc said I was keeping mine.  Maybe not though if it keeps this up! I’m only 10 weeks out from surgery so I’m hoping it will get better.  I did not answer anything for you but I feel your pain!
  • Posted

Hi Dawn

Like you I broke my ankle beginning of May have plate on left side of my left ankle and screw on the right too.  The screw side is the most painful and tender with continuos swelling.  Howeverwe should expect that as there is little flesh around the ankle on the inner side.  I am walking without pain more just the odd twinge.  I cant bend the foot naturally to walk mind in the mid point.  The swelling is still massive on the foot too  Saw my doctor a few days ago and dont go back for 6 months.  He told me to expect 18 months before all settles down again.  Stay patient and strong as I do............. I am walking with no aids and can walk as far as I want really.  Stiffer first thing in the morning x 

• Posted

I had all screws and the plate out at 9 mos due to ongoing pain and inability to find shoes that did not rub in the inner screws.   It was the best decision I made, but had to wait until the bones were all healed- henceforth- 9 mos.   

I would suggest you followup w/ your OS about the screws that are pushing on your skin.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.