Pain 7 months after gallbladder removed

Posted , 5 users are following.

7 months after having gallbladder removed I am starting to have the same intense pain and burning in my upper back and my sternum area...also having nausea off and on . is it possible that there is still an issue with stones somewhere else?? Thanks, I would love to know if anyone else has had these similar issues

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi there

I will follow this with interest as after nearly five months I still have so many aches and pains!! Same as u not sure if I have stones, sludge blocking something, dr not interested😥!

• Posted

so sorry you are still suffering ..I WILL LET YOU KNOW WHAT MY DOC SAYS...sounds lime I need to follow up...

• Posted

i started having similar 5months after my surgery. its most likely reflux, which can cause middle of the back pain. it can be from bile sitting in your stomach now since you dont have a gallbladder to hold bile anymore. try sleeping elevated with a wedge, you can get them at bed bath & beyond. also stay away from sparkling water and limit dairy and big meals. try to eat several small meals and dont let your stomach get too empty as that makes the reflux worse. also try a fiber supplement made of psyllium like metamucil or Acacia fiber. mix with water befofe bed or first thing in the morning, start with a small amount if doing the psyllium as that can cause bloating . the fiber soaks up the bile and helps get it out of your stomach and binds it in your intestine so you get less reflux. Also for bile reflux you can try marshmallow root or slippery elm products they help coat your stomach. if its truly bile reflux PPIs and other acid blockers wont work.

• Posted

I had pain for 4 months after surgery. My PCP didn't have any answers nor did the gastro doctor. I made an appointment with a gastoenterologist in another city for a second opinion. He knew exactly what was wrong. The gallbladder stores bile and releases a small amount as needed for digestion, once removed there is no where to store the bile so the liver gushes it into your system. He prescribed a bile salt sequester called Questran, which is a powder you mix with fluid, and told me I would know if that was the problem in 3 days. It worked! I requested Colestid, same type of medication in pill form, for my next refill. It worked wonders.

• Posted

Hi, what symptoms were you having? I'm wondering if that's my issue with bile. I had my gallbladder out 4 months ago and have had ongoing nausea, weight loss and in the past 3 weeks constant pain in my right side and upper abdomen.

• Posted

I'm so sorry that you are not feeling well. I thought that once the gallbladder was removed I would feel so much better. I had terrible pain that took my breath away and bloating. My quality of life was zero and I got very little sleep and was depressed. That was 4 years ago, so glad it's behind me. My niece had the same problem a few months ago and went to the ER multiple times because of the pain. I told her again about the Colestid and was surprised that no doctor had prescribed it for her. She mentioned it to her GI doctor and started it right away. She is now feeling much better.

Praying you get to feeling better soon!

• Posted

Thank you! Do you remember having constant pain in your right side rib area and abdomen?

• Posted

I will ask my doctor about Colestid. How long did it take for it to work for you and did you have to continue taking it for a long time after?

• Posted

I was first prescribed Questran and was told that I would feel better in a couple days if bile was my issue. Three days later the pain was gone. I requested Colestid rather than Questran, which is a powder, for the next fill. I was able to wean off of it 3 months later. I will occasionally experience a twinge if I eat fried or fatty foods so I just try to avoid them.

• Posted

Praying it works for you too, 7 months is a long time to have such pain. Please keep us all posted.

• Posted

yes to Bile medication, GI can trial it with you and thats how you know its bile causing your issues. Questran, Welchol, Colestid etc are all used to soak up bile. Welchol is newest drug- generic is available now too. if you want a natural alternative try Acacia fiber powder - I get mine at Whole foods it worked as good as Welchol without the headaches and tiredness I got from prescription meds

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.