Pain 7 months after Total Hip Replacement?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my right hip replaced mid-June 2018 and things were going pretty well for me... however, over the past several months the pain was getting worse. I have had pain in my groin and every step I take it is like a shooting/pulling pain. I went to see the doctor about a month ago and he took an x-ray which looked good. He said it could be tendonitis/bursitis so I had an injection on my right and also had an injection on my left (since I also have pain there and will need a replacement on my left in a couple years). Physical therapy hasn't helped. As of last week my physical therapist said my right leg is a bit shorter than my left and that could be the cause of the pain. So, I have been wearing a heel lift and doing "bridge" exercises. After one week of this, no improvement. Thoughts?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

time will be your best indicator while the new hip heals. its a long haul for recovery almost a year or more for some. in some cases the tendons get a lot of stretching and pulling from surgery and i can sympathize with you. in my case had the IT band pulled with micro tears and psoas muscles . it took over a year for total healing. take rests during the day tendons take longer to heal than bones. bursitis is painful and hopefully pain management can get it under control. sometimes injections help and just rest. soft tissue damage doesn't always show up in xrays or mri's . some surgeons remove them during thr surgery.

i hope that you can find pain relief soon as many of us know how frustrating it can be after thr when we expect to finally be free from pain and have mobility well healed and back to life. but many of us experience OA in the other hip too. we have been walking wonkie for a while on unbalanced hips. misaligned backs. i truely recommend walking in very good shoes with good arch. all the old shoes are worn to the pre surgery wonkie walk. my first thr i descovered spring shoes by mbt they take the pressue per sq inch off of joints and teach us to walk with care heel toe with improved gate. that helped me better than any other exercise . walking properly aligns the whole body stregthens core muscles and corrects the old gate responsible for misalignment and tendon begin to heal. my surgeon reccommended them to me my first thr.

• Posted

i'm a little over 6 months post op from a left (anterior) hip replacement and while i can walk and exercise have developed "rebound bursitis." at times it really hurts so I take advil. My surgeon told me he could give me a cortisone shot for it.

Had anyone experienced this? Thx for the shoe suggestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.