Pain

Posted , 7 users are following.

Had left tkr 10 months now still numb on left side of knee.Has anyone else had similar problem ?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Apparently its quite normal. I'm 7 months after RTKR and the right side of knee is numb. I can just about manage to walk with a Walker.

• Posted

Nearly 18 months and still numb, told to expect it could be the same always, but does not bother me.

• Posted

hi . I AM almost 12 months post op from bilateral TKRs .

I have no numbness in my R knee but the outside of my L knee remains numb .i it will always be that way now but it doesn't really bother me

• Posted

I'm 3+ years and still have some residual numbness on the left side. All those nerves were cut. They may or may not regenerate. Small price to pay.

• Posted

I was told they cut through nerves when the do total knee replacement and the numbness we feel on the outer surface of our knee skin is the result of that. They say it will most likely be numb for as long as we live. I had my right knee replaced 7 years ago and its still numb on the outside of the knee, however, the numbness is less noticeable now than it was the first year or so, mainly because I believe you just get used to it over the years. Had my left total knee done last July, then yesterday I had revision surgery on my left knee. It too has been numb since last years surgery. To me the trade off, small area topical skin numbness to get rid of severe knee joint pain, has been totally worth it. Just takes awhile to get used to that weird feeling of the numbness, once you get used to it you won't even give it a second thought. Good luck to you!

• Posted

I agree it does not bother me either to be honest. So it seems it's just what happens with tkr.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.