pain after 4 weeks when moving cast!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,  4 weeks ago I fell downstairs and broke ankle in 3 places, got to go back to clinic in 2 weeks time. Just wondering is it normal to still be in pain when moving cast about, some days better than others. Sharp needle like pains and aching basically all around ankle and especially at nightime  with lots of swelling as soon as standing up on crutches. (Just worry it may not be healing properly!)) Also is it ok to hop around without crutches (as I've been trying to tidy etc but impossible on crutches😖!! + my other leg is knackered and back aching lol!)

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie, yes I think that is very normal after a break in three places! I had a TAR (total ankle replacement) just over 3 months ago and still have some pain although different to a break entirely.

Ask for some physio if you haven't had any and they will be able to give you a lot of advice. Pity there is no advice on discharge from hospital but it think that there is a reluctance to give it as people's pain thresholds are so different. 

I associate the needle like pains are the ankle healing itself and all the small capillaries renewing themselves from the op. Very normal and a good sign.

go back and see a physio and take a list of questions. I find this a useful forum though.

• Posted

Hi, thanks, I've still actually got the cast on my leg hopefully when I go back in 2 weeks it comes off! (it's ok if I don't move it,  just hurts when on crutches etc and stretching in the night, when I forget, ouch! 😭) the ankle replacement must've been very painful!  It's good to talk to people who've been through it.
  • Posted

Hi Julie,

I to broke my ankle in three places, I'm 6 weeks post op and actually get my cast off today. I don't so much get aching however like you I do get the sharp needle pains!!

I did the same with the crutches as I can't bare for things to be unclean, however I don't advise it as you wouldn't want to fall over, knock your ankle and set yourself back.

Good luck and wishing you a full recovery.

• Posted

Hi, thanks,  Yes it drives me mad too the things I can't do like cleaning etc (hubby and teenage daughter helping best they can!😂). I escaped the surgery as Dr said it  was healing ok without it,   good luck with today! Hope it's ok - you're nearly there!! 😃
    • Posted

Haha, frustrating isn't it. No clean is as good as your own, I find I get even more frustrated because others don't do it as I would like it done!!

Lucky you avoiding the surgery! I unfortunately didn't, I had to have a plate and wires.

Thank you, I to am hoping all is well. Just on my way there now!

• Posted

Hi i broke my ankle in 3 places on 14 april and still have pain on regular basis, i was told at my last appt that could have pain for up to a year.  Good luck

• Posted

Hi,  Wow, nearly 6 months and you're still having pain, does it still swell as well or does that eventually go? can you walk ok on it now? 
  • Posted

Hi Julie, don't worry, needle like pains are sign of healing - and it is normal to get some aching, though if it is very uncomfortable you might need to get the cast checked. Exercise is good! But I wouldn't advise hopping around without crutches unless you have something to hold onto - ie kitchen worktops etc. When I broke my ankle I hired a knee scooter which meant my hands were free to do jobs in the house, & I clocked up many miles on it outside too, was a lifesaver. I also did a lot of crawling on my hands & knees! Make sure you get loads of physio after the cast comes off, very important to get all the muscles working again. My break was less severe than yours but like you needed no surgery - was able to run after 16 weeks & 6 months on am as if it never happened. So you will get there! Good luck with your recovery, Tiggi x
    • Posted

Hi, thanks,   the scooter sounds like a fantastic idea! as you can't do an awful lot on crutches and I must say hopping around is not wise!  I'm worrying because I'm going away in a few weeks time,  hopefully my cast should be off by then but probably won't be able to weight bear straight away, but I'm not looking forward to climbing stairs on my crutches especially to board the plane! should be interesting!! Can't believe you were able to run after just 16 weeks that's amazing!

• Posted

You may get a boot for a while after the cast comes off - I did & it's much more manageable, you can take it off at night, for washing & swimming. Take care on steps with crutches, but if all else fails just go up on all fours - may look odd but much easier!! Hope all goes well for your holiday.
    • Posted

Thanks, I hope they do give me a boot it would feel more protected with something on it,  yes I may have to board the plane on my bum! (my teenage daughter will probably be mortified and disown me lol!) I haven't even had courage to use crutches on our own stairs at home yet (after the dreaded fall down them!) 
    • Posted

I never used my crutches on my stairs at home, they are steep & I was just too scared of falling. (I too had the break after falling on stairs) Even after the cast & boot was off I still came downstairs on all fours for a bit, till I got my confidence back. You will be surprised how quickly you progress in those first days after cast removal, though. If you don't get a boot and need extra support - the Aircast A60 ankle brace is great, you can wear it with trainers & it gives lots of support. Tx
    • Posted

Hi ,  Yes I hope I do get an ankle brace or  a boot after cast comes off .

I've  been away over weekend and moving about a bit on crutches and paid for it last night as it was very achy all night and swelling really badly. I'm on the  painkillers again!  I'm really worried it's not healing properly, as it's been 4 weeks now, my hubby keeps telling me not to be paranoid!  but there's only 2 weeks to go for the cast off. Should there still be a lot of achiness still? Thanks

• Posted

It's really hard to say as everyone's injury/rate of healing etc is different. From my own experience, whilst it is normal for it to ache a bit if you've done too much, if you are needing painkillers & feel that the pain & swelling is getting worse, it would be advisable to have the cast checked, Most hospitals have a helpline for the fracture clinic where you can get some advice. Better to be safe than sorry and it is perfectly understandable to worry when you can't see what is going on under the cast. Meanwhile keep your leg elevated as much as poss. Hope it feels better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.