pain after 5 years - what to do???

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, fellow hippies!

I had my right hip replaced over 5 years ago and I still have some pain.  It is not as bad as it was before the surgery but bad enough that I have to take medication for it.  (I was taking 2400 mg of ibuprofen each day before the surgery.  Now, I am taking 1800 mg each day.  But, that doesn't always work.)  My doctor says, "That happens sometimes."   I am finding that difficult to accept.  I am trying to get a second opinion.  Anyone got any other ideas?  Comments?  What about other medications?  I am concerned about the long-term side effects of ibuprofen.  Any other non-narcotic medications with which anyone has had success?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sorry to hear of the disappointing results. I would seek a second opinion from someone who has a good track record and who has had a lot of experience.

Hope you get some good answers.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Sorry to hear of the disappointing results. I would seek a second opinion from someone who has a good track record and who has had a lot of experience.

Hope you get some good answers.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Where is the pain?  Nothing works for my pain. I'd be careful taking the high dose of Ibuprfen. 

• Posted

The pain is in my hip - same place as before just not as intense.
  • Posted

Yes, please be careful taking that much Ibuprophen. I had back problems years back and the doctor always told me to take large amounts of ibuprophen. It helped so I used it every time my back hurt. Now age 69, I have kidney problems from it and can no longer take any NSAIDS. It has been tough with bad osteoarthritis. I had a knee replacement last year and a hip replacement 6 weeks ago. I'm fine when I can take ½ of a Percocet a day but they are almost gone now and I doubt doctor will prescribe more. Tylenol is just no help. 

• Posted

I agree!  My Primary Care doctor has tried me on other medications, like Tramadol and Meloxicam.  Some work for a little while, some not at all but, it seems like I keep going back to the Ibuprofen.  So far, I haven't had any kidney problems but, we monitor things regularly.  

Have you tried Tylenol with codeine?  It has helped me but it makes me a little sleepy.

• Posted

Hi! You might want to try the herb Boswellia for the pain. It helped me---and much safer than Ibuprofen.
  • Posted

dear potsley, 

warm welcome to the hippies forum -

I agree that you might want to get a 2nd opinion, preferrably from a different medical group ... what an interesting response from your doctor !!!  he might be right but surely should find out why you still are in pain -

when was the last time an xray was taken ?

please come back here and let us know how you are doing otherwise, okay ..

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Hi I had a hip replacement in 2015,& it's not worked for me.As I had to get back on my feet as I am my Hubbys carer as he too like me have wretched Osteoarthritis, of our hips ,& knees.But my Hubby is also severely sighted & deaf.I had hardly any support.I take cherry juice Termerric,and have a super reflexology lady who comes once a fortnigh I very often cry myself to sllep,I listen to calming Cds .When we go away I choose hotels where I can have a free jacuzzi.My Hubby is on Robaxin (muscle relaxant, & painkilliers are tylex but they are strong with codine & paracetamol in.My surgeon warned me that the op might not work.The Hospital wanted to operate under an epidural but I couldnt stand it so they had to knock me out for six and its scared me for life putting the fear of god into me.I also warned them,I suffer from Anxiety.But they wouldn't listen.So sorry to rant.regards Amanda h.

• Posted

Dear Amanda

You have had it very tough makes me wonder how on earth you managed to cope.

My best wishes to you and your husband.

Richard

• Posted

Hi Richard,My Reflexologist has said with me it's my trunk that keeps me going,as my knees and hips are awful.its an up hill struggle at times.My Hubby is severely sighted in both eyes,deaf and also mobility issues like me.He sleeps downstairs & I sleep up stairs.We have little help but social services will not give my Husband any more as I am his full time carer.Sorry to moan regards Amanda h

• Posted

Thanks, everyone!  I have been doing some research online and asking around and I think I have found a reputable doctor to see.  

Until then, my primary care doctor is trying me on another pain medication.  I have tried, besides the ibuprofen, Meloxicam and Tramadol.  Meloxicam worked for a while and then just quit.  Tramadol did nothing for me.  Now I am on Gabapentin.  I know that Gabapentin is mainly used to control seizures but, it also has some pain relieving properties.  

What medications, pre- or post- surgery, have worked for others?  I am not sure I am going to stick with Gabapentin and would like some other ideas.

Thanks!

Leslie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.