Pain after 7 months of sprain..normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So every month there's a slight improvement. But there's moderate to sometimes high pain while walking/limping. Part of ankle is still kinda stiff. The limp is not going no matter what. PT doesn't help much at all. I do the usual resistance band exercises and standing heel raise. Doc wanted another X-ray after all these months, so I did and there wasn't anything wrong. Ankle is incredibly stiff in the morning. I don't know what's wrong. Is pain and limp after 7 months normal?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had trimalleolar fracture stabilized with screws and plaplate on February 28. It's only since October I'm out of pain. Follow another surgery to remove the screws.

• Posted

I've had several sprains and none took more than 3 months to completely heal. Then 5 months ago I had a sprain that just didn't improve after about 6 weeks. MRI showed torn ligaments, tendons and a chip in the cartilage. Had surgery. Four months later still limping, stiff and painful. Have you had an MRI?

• Posted

Weird thing is both doctors and my physio, tested bending my ankle both ways and pressing it hard but I didn't have any pain. And even mobility has improved over months. That's why they rule out the need for MRI every time.

• Posted

It sounds like you only have pain when bearing weight. I don't know how to explain that but your sprain is taking much longer to heal than any of the ones I had until the most recent one. It seems to me that something isn't healing. The only way to see it would be an MRI. Can you see another doctor who would approve an MRI? Would you be able to pay for it yourself if insurance won't cover it?

• Posted

Update- I went to orthotics for applying some adjustments to my walking shoe. And funny thing is, she was finally able to diagnose my exact problem. She moved my injured ankle in all directions and found there's a bit of less dorsiflexion and stiffnes near the swelling area. She pushed my foot upwards, which has reduced pain a lot. The doctors and physio I used to go, weren't taking the ankle sprain as something severe and treated it like a joke cause they deal with paralysis patients and think a sprain is nothing which will heal within a year itself. I'm still thinking to get an MRI though.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.