Pain after 8 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi guys

I have been posting my progress since my first week post op and have posted some before and after pictures too.

I have been doing so well until now . I am 8 weeks post op today and since week six been wearing trainers and sandals and feeling great . Since yesterday I started having this sharp pain under my big toe of the Left foot. Coming down the stairs the pain was so bad I nearly died.

I am not sure what might have caused it but I am so upset that I have this set back when I was doing so well. 😢

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced pain after 8 weeks.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I have been on a roller coaster with pain and it can be disheartening especially if it is a set back for you.  I am 15 weeks and have some days when I get shooting pains and can't understand why.  It may be that your foot is getting used to different shoes again.  I am ok in trainers but if I try others I generally swell up more and get pains the following days.  It seems to be up and down but hoping it improves for you soon.

i have a condition called crps which is a regional pain syndrome but is improving with physio and lots of massage.

• Posted

Forgot to mention but if you still have stiffness in your big toe it may be that you are working through the scar tissue at the operation site and this is just the foot getting used to the next stage of movement....possibly.
    • Posted

Thank you Sue.

I must say that the pain started when I put on my normal size trainers rather than the wide fitting ones.

You are right About working through the scar tissue. My right foot is ok and not stiff but I still have stiffness in the big toe of the left foot and have been manipulating the toe up and down a lot . It might be that I have overdid it a bit. I will continue with Epsom salt baths and gentle massage and hope that it will get better.

• Posted

I am 9 weeks post op and the same pain seems to have re appeared on and off although I have returned to work, my consultant however told me last week to expect pain and swelling on and off for little while yet, also he mentioned the scar tissue and the importance of moving my toe so I can feel it getting sore to help break this down so I agree maybe it's mixture of wearing shoes and scar tissue (hopefully ) x
    • Posted

My consultant has said the same thing, but I find if I move the toe too hard it really gets painful and o can't walk at all. I suppose just have to persevere and hope for the best .
  • Posted

I would contact my surgeon and seek his/her advice. Better still I would see if it was possible for an a emergency consultation. Hopefully this will put your mind at ease.

Though it sounded like you were doing well so hope all is well.

• Posted

I spoke to my consultant today. He thinks I may have overdone it and need to rest the foot. The pain has subsided a bit as I have been resting and elevating it. He said if by end of the week it was not better to see him next week.
    • Posted

That sounds like good advice. Hopefully rest will be all that's required. Though you know your own body and will recognise if rest will be the answer or there may be something under lying that needs to be dealt with.
  • Posted

Have you been massaging the scar tissues with oil?  And moving the toes back and forward?

the bones heal between 6-8 weeks and should be up for manipulation, and you need to loosen the scar tissues from the underlying tissues, otherwise they can hurt badly.

even now I have good weeks followed by bad where I limp and am in abject pain (I swear a lot too then) ... And I'm 5months down the line

caroline

• Posted

Hi Caroline

Yes I have been massaging the feet with Bio oil twice a day sometimes more and been moving the toes up and down. I thought it was all getting better until the left foot started giving me pain. I suppose it is expected until everything heals Inside and out. I shall preserver with the massage and hope for the best .

• Posted

Hopefully your in less pain and feeling better today Star? All crossed it's just a case of overdoing it. Just to reassure you I've pain/discomfort some days at 12 weeks, not every day but particularly if I've really pushed myself which I'm very guilty of! Uneven stony ground is still uncomfortable to walk on and midfoot is where I feel most discomfort now.Guess as that's where the longest largest bone was operated on it sort of makes sense biggrin. Be kind to yourself and take it easy. 
    • Posted

Thank you Bee.

I am feeling better. The pain has subsided , I think that I did overdo it. Now that I have rested the foot the pain is gone .

I suppose it is a long recovery and we have to be patient.

• Posted

Fab! Happy for you it was only a teensy blip. My consultant says every time he see's me  "all things in moderation and remember to take everything very slowly" then stares at me meaningfully!! Haaa!! The being patient thing is honestly really hard isn't it??!!
    • Posted

Yes it's really hard to be patient, specially that I not a very patient person. Thank you Bee for your reassurances, it makes such a difference.
  • Posted

Thats so nice of you to say that, thank you. Update with your progress, I've no doubt things will go well for you Star. 
    • Posted

Thank you Bee. Same to you.

Wish you well. I will post my progress. 😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.