Pain after abdominal hysterectomy

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on the 12th March, only had my uterus removed. I know it's still early days but the internal pain is unbearable at times. I have pain when urinating and when I open my bowels. Was tested for water infection came back negative. The pain is mainly on my right side and radiates into my hip area. I've no appointment to go back to my consultant. I'm on medication to soften my stools to enable me to open my bowels. I'm eating a good balanced diet. Just wondering if anyone can give me any advise on how long I should expect the pain to go on for. I understand it's quite an invasive surgery and things can moved around and need time to settle back down but I've no idea how long I should put up with the pain before I make an appointment with my doctor. 

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi lynda

im 6 weeks TAH on Thursday......lat about 3 week stage I was having similar pains it lasted for a couple of days and I still have odd internal pain now ( I had my cervix removed).... I find rest, warm baths with Dead Sea salts and regular pain killers helps.....make sure you are getting plenty of rest....often the pain is an indication your doing too much.....however if you start to experience any abnormal discharge or pain on urinating do go back......hope you start to feel better soon c

• Posted

Thank you I'm just listening to my body and resting just getting up for short walks around the house to keep my circulation going. I'm hoping each day gets better but if I continue to feel "not right" I will go back. I'm also going to request a 6 week check off the consultant, I just think it's shocking to think they "don't need to see you again" after such an invasive procedure. Thank you xx
  • Posted

Go see your doctor, don't wait biggrin  I tell you, I thought the hardest part after surgery was pooping!! 
    • Posted

I do want to say that my doctor said no bathing or swimming for 6 weeks post op. to help prevent infection, but that's my doctor smile 
    • Posted

Really....it's confusing all this conflicting advise......I've been bathing (not with bubble bath)  but with Dead Sea salts a couple of times a week from about 2 weeks post op......was your op abdominal or vaginal......I've found bathing very relaxing and (touch wood) no signs of any infections...
    • Posted

Some doctors are different. My hysterectomy was done vagionally they said nothing for 6 weeks.  I'm going back in for a laprascopic procedure May 8th to remove my fallopian tunes and test to see if they find any other cancer, those instructions said no bathing, swimming, or intercorse for 2 weeks post op.
  • Posted

I just don't think they give you enough information when you are discharged. I've had two sections before so just expected it to be like that but I suppose the main difference is you've had bits cut away internally. I've done nothing but rest since I had the op so I know the pain is not being caused my doing too much. I've only showered I've not bathed yet, maybe I should try that. I understand that bladder,bowels etc are moved around during the operation and can be irritated but it's hard to determine what's normal pain and not normal pain. I'm going to give it till the end of the week and go and see the doctor just for peace of mind. Thank you for your replies. A consultant don't always have the answers if they've never experienced it. Xx
    • Posted

I would check your discharge instructions or call the doctors office before you bathe. I was told not to for 6 weeks.
    • Posted

I wasn't told not to bathe I can kind of understand if you've had it vaginally. Hope everything goes well when you go back for your next procedure x
    • Posted

Hi Lynda

Like Erin, I was told not to bathe or swim for 6 weeks after surgery. I had an abdominal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago. I am still uncomfortable and find it difficult to sit down for more than a couple of hours at a time. I still also have pain when urinating, passing wind and when I open my bowels. I have rang the nurse at my surgeon's practice and she assured me that it is part of the healing process. I cannot wait for the day to arrive when I wake up and feel good...more than a little frustrated right now. I hope you feel better soon. x

• Posted

Thank you you kind of feel like your suffering alone and a bit blindsided coz you don't know what to expect. I'm just hoping each day gets better and eventually your our bodies healing will be at the stage of "light at the end of the tunnel". I'm kind of regretting having it done at the min but I know that will pass, hopefully. Hope you continue to recover well xx
    • Posted

Hi Lynda

As Kathryn stated I still have pain during urination. My Abdominal hysterectomy was performed on May 17. No sex or submersion in water for 6 to 8 weeks. I was told to rest and walk as I feel daily to prevent clotting and stiffness. I was also told catheters can cause irritation and discomfort which was used during surgery. Not sure if that is what causing the painful urination. It does get a little frustrating but I'm still trying to rest, I do very light chores(folding clothing). At some point It make feel like I should have done something different. But I'm gonna give time the healing process might be longer than I thought. Our bodies are different and respond to this surgery different. I pray that we all heal and continue with life.

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear about the pain. Def no bathing for Vaginal hsyterecomy or TAH with Cervix-for obvious reasons, that internal healing needs to be left alone to heal. I am 17 weeks post TAH and still get twinges, pains, and tenderness occasionally. I remember the pains around weeks 3-5 which were tender and pulling, I took neirofen, and rest. We hurt whilst healing as our bodies tell us when to rest..see Hsyter systers website, lots of information and forums, speedy recovery and rest well..
    • Posted

Yeah I've just found that page on Facebook. It's just so good to be able to ask advice etc from people who've gone through it. I know we are all different and our bodies heal differently but it's like anything you don't truly understand till you've been through it yourself. X
  • Posted

I also have the no bathing, swimming, sex for six weeks rule. Abdominal surgery, everything removed except ovaries.

I still have internal pain at 6 weeks in fact it is getting more intense as I do more

• Posted

I wasn't told anything other than to rest. There are a lot of internal organs that get disturbed in the pelvic region during ops like this I suppose it's getting your head around the fact that they to need to get back to normal. One of my friends as just been who had her hysterectomy 5 years ago and she rested totally for 6 weeks. She said it does get better and she's never looked back. Just rest,rest,rest was her advice. Xx
    • Posted

I had a full hysterectomy by key hole 10 days ago. I feel very lucky no pain. Been walking since day 3I been doing everything. Hope it dissent catch up with me. I feel for you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.