Pain after ankle surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Broke both my ankles back in may, I've got orif, plates and pins right ankle and left foot has an orif. I'm now fully mobile now and back to work with 5 mths.

Only problem is that on morning my right foot gets really stiff and I get shoting pains on a morning. I bearly walk until I've put the foot under hot water for 5-10 mins. I'm getting physio and taking regular pain relief. It's getting new down a bit. Just wonder if anyone is having or had similer problem?

Thanks

Gemma

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Gemma

I had 2 plates and 12 pins in my right ankle after breaking my tib and fib. I too went back to work after 5 months. I Attended physio for about 6 months and did the exercises daily, the swelling in the morning did eventually improve but was always swollen by the end of the day and I was still taking painkillers a year after the surgery. I also still had mobility problems. After ct scan and other tests the ortho dept recommended that I have the plates and some of the pins removed which I did 3 weeks ago. Since then the pain has certainly eased and at the moment I'm trying to get range of movement back. I wish I could be more positive. One of the ortho docs told me I had to accept that my ankle would never be like it was before and unfortunately he was right but I'm trying to get as well as I can. Good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Hi Bailey,

My ortho surgeon said that I was fine. However, after many months now I still do not feel good. I will, after reading so much on this, get another opinion. The doctor never gave me the option of removing anything! It is supposed to be permanent. I'm alarmed. He told me to go to a neurologist for the pins, needle sensations, stiffness and burning. I know that something is not right. I'm actually scared. It is time to start selling all my shoes!!! All the best to you and let me know how you feel. I'm curious about having plates removed etc. Monica

• Posted

Hi Monica

I was so fed up being in pain and always taking painkillers and having restricted movement. The hospital Suggested removing the metalwork as they were happy that the bones had healed. After I'd decided to go ahead with the surgery i had the operation the next week. The stitches are tight and the ankle is stiff just now but I'm using warm water every few hours to do my exercises and It's definetely nothing like the original break. I'm hoping to go back to work in a few days time and am going to try driving at the weekend. If I had any concerns I contacted the ortho dept who were always happy to give me an appointment. Seeking a second opinion would

Help as I saw 4 different docs over the course of a year and only 1 of them was pretty hopeless and couldn't tell me very much.

• Posted

Hi Gemma, that is quite painful. I'm still not able to drive and walk with a limp. There are days were I have to ice my foot in order to control the pain. Pain medication did nothing for me just made me feel strange. My foot is stiff all the time despite all the exercises recommended. Tried epsom salts which helped. The other methods such as garlic work somewhat. Also tumeric powder diluted with water and wrapped with cloth help but they will stain everything! I know that fractures in the ankle are the worst to surpass. From the forums I'm learning a lot and getting a lot of help from others!

If water helps then continue doing itsmile I have 26 bolts, nails,pins and plates and can feel them. The only thing I can do is ice. Best regards and yes, better days ahead!!!!

• Posted

Gemma, I am one week out of cast and walking unaided, slow but getting there, had ORIF to broken tib and fib 10th August ankle is very stiff in the morning and takes a while to loosen, I get the shooting pains in either bones both tib and fib, they make you shudder when it happens but no lasting pain. Ankle aches constantly and quite uncomfortable when swollen but calms when rested,

Hard work with one broken ankle must have been crazy with two!

All the best connor

• Posted

Sounds like your doing alright you just need more movement. I started my rehab  at 3 weeks post surgery making just moving toes and sqeezing them and just trying to make circles and up and down motion with my foot maily in warm water. I forgot to say I only had one ankle broke but pretty bad from a fall alpine climbing in Peru at 10 t0 11 meters with injures also to my right hand and below my knee some tenden damage. I am 54 years old and was in very good shape. I started partial weight bearing and by week 13 full weight bearing maily walking with a cane for a week or two. I actually started back to work at 3 weeks. I have never really iced my leg only the first couple of weeks after surgery. My surgery was done in Peru and truthfully all I know is I broke 3 bones in my ankle and have a plate and screws do not know how many do not really care.

​My foot is a little stiff after 5 month the more I excercise and stretch the better I become. I have not since surgery taken any pain medicine not one. Yes I swell some but through what I just told you I do I get better. You have to remain positive and active with it, The thing I see most on this page is rest welll when now at this stage postive attitude and exercise is what you need most. I actually am running for about 10 minutes on a treadmill and doing many other exercises. If you can find it on Facebook I just put a page on it  after my injury to show my progress called broken ankle. Hopefully maybe you will find it. Ther is no need to think now your life has changed and you never do what you did again or feel the same again. People survive much more in accidents and so will you. You just got to say I will do it every day. The sharp pain is probly from you not using your ankle foot for some time. I  but got one quick pain the other day but I find also I am becomig more using my foot as normal when walking also and pushing it a little more. I wish you luck and I hope my words help in some way.

• Posted

Thank you for posting, Michael. I had trimalleoar fracture right ankle 8/14, delayed surgery while on antibiotics, and ORIF surgery 8/25. 2 days ago (10/4) I got out of cast and off NWB. Just started 50% weight bearing in boot with crutches. Will be starting PT in about 3 weeks. Long journey, but just taking it one day at a time.
    • Posted

Dear Mr. Michael your words make me feel good now as i was very upset because of my fracture. I am 24 years old , i jumped from 11 ft wall and got my left ankle broke. I had an ORIF surgery on 20 December 2016 and have a  single 50mm screw almost 2 inches . I got six stiches that were removed on 7 January 2017. I get sever pains during exrecise. Tell mehow much time it will take to recover. As i am also doing a job and i am on leave since 12 december i told my boss that i will join from 1st March. Butnow iam afraid because the recovery process is very slow and long. Doctor said you cant put your weight untill feb 6-7 weeks. Kindly tell me how many times i should do exercise daily at home. As excessive exrecise may causing more pain and strech. I am taking medicines. My ankle wound is now in good condition , no swelling. will i be able to walk on my own till 1st march?? 
  • Posted

Years ago when I was in a bad car accident,I broke my right ankle very bad...had plates and screws. Finally was walking after 5 months,but continued to have swelling and pain for at least another year off and on. It will get better
  • Posted

Thank you everyone for your replies it's nice to know that I'm not the only one 😄

Thanks

Gemma

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.