Pain after Bartholin Gland Removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am currently 6 weeks post op. My doctor drained the cyst 2 times in a year and then decided to remove it. It was about the size of a ping pong ball. The surgery was quick and the pain was pretty extreme. I did have some bruising but it went away within a week. After about a week I stopped taking the pain meds because the pain was tolerable. I waited two weeks to drive and by three weeks I could easily sit normally again. Stitches finally fell out around 4 weeks. I believe they caused irritaion in the outer labia. I still have swelling in the lower right labia and sex is slightly painful. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me with a timeline for pain. I am so tired of the hurting when trying to be intimate with my soon to be husband. Its a sharp pain and there is a ball of hard tissue. The whole area becomes large and hard when I become arroused. My doctor told me to extect pain for about 3 months. I am hoping that it will completely heal before then. Also, I am wondering about scar tissue and if there is any way to help that process along. Thank you for listening (reading). 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I am supposed to do this surgery in a month and am nervous. My doctor said 2 to 4 weeks needed to heal but it seems like you have it longer. Sorry. Can you do other things fine besides sex? 
    • Posted

Mostly yes, I can do other things. I was in pain up to 4 weeks while walking, sitting, laying down, pretty much everything. I tend to have some pain in the evening if I've been active during the day.
    • Posted

Thanks. I want to travel 6-7 weeks after, so I'm nervous of how I will be feeling. 
  • Posted

I had the Marsupialization surgery last year.  It took about a week for the real pain to get better. It was about four weeks until I felt like I could go back to work and about six weeks to feel completely better.  However, sex was uncomfortable for way longer than that.  I also had sharp pain and felt hard tissue.  This lasted for probably four months at least.   It's been about six months and we still have to use a lubricant (this really helps) and we take it easy.  But it is getting better. 

I will ill say this about the pain, nothing is worse than the pain of the abscessed cyst.  If you've been through that pain, you can handle the pain of the surgery.  It's worth it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.