Pain after bowel movement

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am new to this group and I wonder if anyone has any explanation for stomach pain every time I have a bowel movement.  I have been diagnosed with IBS and have tried everything I can think of to see if I can overcome this. It is quite painful and lasts all day.  I have had this for many weeks now. My doctor always says well this is your usual gut problems so don't worry that it is serious.  I am quite frankly fed up and slip into a low mood very easily. Can anyone help me?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Judith,

Lots of people suffer from irritible bowel syndrome and no one ever comes up with a solution that suits everyone. I have a friend who shares this condition. What she has done is to develop a diet that suits her system through through trial and error.

Wish I could direct you to a solution but sorry I can't . It's such a personal condition that somehow only the victim seems to find a remedy.

Regards, Eric F.

• Posted

Thanks Eric for your comments - I have made some comments below to Kevin.  It is certainly very difficult to find a remedy.  I don't get it we can put a man on the moon, but we still can't find a solution to most gastro problems. 

Best wishes

Judith

• Posted

Hi Judith

It's very scarey when ibs symtoms come along as some people have mild and some severe .

Do you have diarrear or constipation or both ?

If your intestines are inflammed you can get soreness when having a bowel movement as when it constricts it can cause pain either before or after

Do you ever have a feeling like a band right round your tummy and sometimes goes into your back

I would say keep a note of the pain and right down when it occurs before or after also keep a diary of what you eat and see if there's any triggers

I have had ins for 12 years after getting campilobacter food poisoning .

Also check if there's any blood in your stools

I hope you can get an answer to your problem

It's like a mine field with everybody having different symtoms

• Posted

Thanks Kevin for replying.  I mainly have constipation but take 1 tablespoon of  psyllium at night which gives me a bowel movement.  I have wondered if a tablespoon is too much.  I have tried not taking it or only every second night, but when I don't I am awfully constipated. I think you may be right that my intestines are inflamed which is causing  the pain.  It really is a catch 22 situation isn't it.  I have kept a diary of what I eat and there doesn't seem to be any triggers.  I think that even after all this time IBS is still not very well understood, and it differs for each of us.  It certainly gets you down.  Thanks again for taking the time to answer my question.
  • Posted

Hi

At least you can eat well that is something i haven't done for along time...  anyway do you think it may be trapped wind?   This can be very painful and uncomfortable.

I massage my tummy & drink warm water but it can still take several hours to disperse.

Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.