Pain after bowel movement

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi,

Is there anyone else who suffers abdominal pain after a bowel movement. Sometimes my pain can last for many hours. The pain is all over my abdomen. The pain can be quite severe at times, also my abdoman makes strange noise's. I always thought the pain was meant to subside with a BM but not in my case. I have had very very loose stools for over a month and still got the pain after and now my stools are firming up a little, i am still getting the pain. Just curious if anyone else suffers like this.

Thanks

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I'd recommend you see your doctor. It could be something as easy to resolve i.e. with change of diet or the prescribing of medication but on the other hand you may need to have a colonoscopy. The fact that the pain is still there when you have had a bowel movement could mean that you are constipated even when you have loose stools...there is still something left behind. Get an appointment and put your mind at rest and remember they have heard it all before.
  • Posted

Oh yes,I do.I can move my bowels five times a day and still have pain.My pain is real low in my belly.Sometimes it hurts to stand.I am going on day three with pain.Do you suffer w GERD as well?I do and wondered if it is part of IBS.
  • Posted

Hi Marc, that is the story of my life. I have been suffering with that pain for over five years. Docs have given me Antispasmodics.. which do not work. My Gastro doc explained that after we "go" our gut doesn't send the right cignals to our brain. So our colon keeps spasoming. This causes ceamping and pain. I take Xanax that helps calm down my gut and Imodium Multi Symptom, a half stops the cramps and that i have to go feeling. Also when it's very bad i take Motrin 400 or 800. Watch what u eat and see a Gastro doc. Also, have u had a Colonoscopy?
  • Posted

Hi All,

​Thanks for you replies. I havent had a colonoscopy, I have, however, had several test from full blood count, Hpylori test, Full abdominal ultrasound Gallbladder, Liver  Spleen, Kidneys, Bladder and Pancreas. I have also had Liver & Pancreas blood test. All have come back negative.

I dont really fancy a colonosopy and my doctor has never suggested it either, this pain has been going on for well over a year, it hasnt got any worse or better, it is just the same. I have had acid problems in the past, but this has now settled with omeprazole.

​I didnt think you could still be constipated if you are still passing loose stools daily. How do you get the hard stools to move?

Thanks

• Posted

That is good news, but the pain you are experiencing is coming from your Colon.  A colonoscopy would rule out any problems there.  I have had two.  The prep is a bit yucky, but you are put out and when you wake up it's all over.  It is a very important test.  If all is ok, you most probably have IBS, or Irritable or Spastic Colon.  You should have it done and then talk to your Gastro about options.  Good Luck

• Posted

Hi Mark. i have ibs-d, colitis, fructose malabsorption & bile acid malabsorption (bam). bam produces symptoms of diarrea, stomach pain, bloating, rectal soreness, & lots of strange abdominal noises & gurgling. it is often overlooked in patients with ibs-d, colitis etc. it is diagnosed with a simple sehcat scan at hosp usually through gastro doc. i was tested positive & put on meds which improved my symtpoms dramatically within weeks. maybe ask to be tested for this if not for elimination purposes. hope this helps
  • Posted

Thanks everyone for all your replies. Another trip to my Doctor is needed I think. Thanks again for your help and support.
    • Posted

Ah yes. I too thought BM was supposed to relieve pain, WHAT!!

I also have pain after a bowel movement. But my pain tends to be in back passage rather then abdomen. No bleeding though.

I had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago due to gallstones.

GP thinks it might be IBS or it is possible that a small stone has got stuck in my bile duct.

Have an appointment for endoscopy (camera down throat) beginning of December so we willsee what that shows.

You certainly have my support.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Did you have any test done? I have the same issues.
    • Posted

Well this is a rather long story.

Basically I have a hiatus hernia and also a kidney stone. Seeing urologist tomorrow.

I have also been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

Here's to a healthier 2017!!!

I now have pain in my right side, kidney area due to this stone.

• Posted

this is because your intestines are still in spasm. i call IBS 'hyper-reactive intestine syndrome' because the gut over-reacts one way or another - either things start to move and it gets carried away moving too much and you get spasms/diarrhoea, or it slows down to the extent it grind to a halt and you get constipation!

have you taken antispasmodics? i also find peppermint tea helps but be careful it doesnt make your reflux worse. hot water bottles also work wonders smile

• Posted

Thank you for writing, that makes a lot of sense. Yes, I have tried Levsin and Bentyl. Made me feel worse. I do drink Pepp tea and I find a half of Xanax helps also. Thanks again

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.