Pain after Broken ankle (op was 9 weeks ago)

Posted , 8 users are following.

After 8 weeks nwb I had my plaster off a week ago today. I have been fitted with a boot. My problem is that my ankle is causing agonising pain. I am doing the exercise I have been given - no physio appoinment yet - and resting the ankle above level of my heart, ice packs etc etc. The pain doesn't seem to be getting any less. Am I being too optimistic in thinking the pain should be easing now?  Also, should I be walking with the pain - I am only managing very short distances yet?  Any experiences, views etc would be much appreciated.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joan,

Although I've had a Total Ankle replacement, it is treated as if it's a fracture.

I had excruciating pain in my inner ankle when I started the exercises and didn't know whether it was bone or tendons/nerves etc.

I persevered and tried to push past the pain (I was using a dressing gown belt under my foot and pulling my foot towards me)

It has taken a few weeks but it is getting better.

With me, I had a total fusion prior to my replacement so my ankle/foot was rigid for the best part of 3 years and therefore my nerves and tendons hadn't been stretched like they are through normal daily use.

That is what has happened to you even in 8 weeks so they need to be manipulated back.

I bought myself an infrared lamp and massage the area regularly and it has really helped.

I applied this theory watching runners, no-one would do a marathon without a warm up of the muscles first.

So give it a go.

Regards

Jean

• Posted

Thanks for this Jean.

I have now spent a few days almost totally non-weightbearing and taking pain killers from GP. Pain isn't quite so bad as I now start to tentatively pwb.

Interesting to hear your use of heat lamp - I have only been using ice packs but heat is soooo much more comforting. I will start to massage ankle as well.

Hope alll cotinues to go well with you.

best wishes,

Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan,

Prior to having my op I was taking turmeric with black pepper and coconut oil.

I joined turmeric users group as turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory BUT needs black pepper with it as it's the black pepper that makes the body absorb the turmeric.

People give it to their arthritic animals as well with great results.

I was told by hospital to stop taking it at least a fortnight before my op (and even they knew of its benefits) and to be honest, with everything going on in my life, forgot to resume taking it, I'd just moved house so a bit chaotic.

Anyway I have resumed taking it and there is hell of a difference pain wise, allowing me to reduce my meds.

The turmeric users group is on Facebook should you have an account yourself. There are several and even though I live in the UK I'm on an American site.

Food for thought anyway.

Jean

• Posted

Hi Joan,

I had pain with my boot. I had plaster cast for 8 weeks, same as you, and then the boot. I didn't wear boot in bed at night. That helped with the pain a bit. I propped it above my heart with frozen vegetable bags for icing. Don't walk on it much yet if it hurts so badly. I used crutches, when away from home and walker at home. You can really practically non weight bear with the crutches or walker. Gradually increase. I am now at 15 weeks and in my regular shoe. It hurts and gets swollen. But it doesn't hurt terribly all of the time. If you have to walk on it, then give it a rest, when you can. I am flying in a few hours on plane and have tons of walking to do. I may have to go without crutches and I don't like it. It will be very sore and swollen. I don't mind that. It's just the worry that I don't want to wreck anything. 12 screws and a plate is intimidating for me. I just don't want to wreck it all. Take it little by little. You will get there. Call your foot doctor if you are worried. Be patient, little by little. Listen to the pain and give it a rest, as needed. And that rest might be needed a bunch now. Good luck.

• Posted

Thanks for this Yvonne,

I wasn't given crutches at the hospital but I am now requesting them. I do have a walker but think the crutches would be good for going out of doors.

Hope all goes well for  you and your plane journey.

best wishes,

Joan

• Posted

Very early days. I am 11 weeks post pins and plate. Have been wearing boot for 7 weeks due to wound infection, which has slowed my recovery. Now I am weaning myself off boot and pain is tolerable. I am fwb without boot. Pain control medication is crucial. What are you taking? I had pain after pop off too. It will get better. X
    • Posted

Hello Bernadette,

The painkillers are helping a bit - my GP has given me Tramadol and paracetamol - 2 of each to be taken 4 times a day. Good to hear your are making such progress,

Joan

• Posted

Hi Joan.

Very, very early days! I'm 14 MONTHS POST OP. I smashed my ankle and had 2 lots of plates with screws and 2 long screws inner ankle. I was according to the surgeon at the worse end of the spectrum regarding ankle breaks. I was post op 5 MONTHS WALKING without any aids! I suffered badly. I to this day am still having physio and hydrotherapy. I still have pain on and off and I still get stiffness in a morning. I do however once I get going, I walk without a limp. I can't stand or walk on my feet all day and the inner ankle with the two screws gives me the most problems. Be patient you will recover. All the best.

• Posted

Hello,

I had surgery with pins and plates on both sides of ankle. It is so hopeful to hear from so many of you who have gone through the agony and are now well on road to recovery.

Now the pain is slightly less with pain killers etc I will try to emulate you all,

all good wishes,

Joan

• Posted

Hello

I sympathise with you. I am 10 months post ORIF op and I know it is an uncertain and ever changing roller coaster.

I found that I had to eventually go with my gut instinct as I reacted quite badly to Physio and had to find a balance between mobility and overdoing it to a point of debilitating pain.

9 weeks is very early days in the ever changing landscape of ankle surgery recovery.

The one thing I have learned is patience and listening to my instincts. This involved getting second opinions and changing consultants and electing to stop Physio and do it myself. We were able to establish a lot of my pain was tissue inflammation and a guided steroid injection was a big turning point for me at 4 months

AND I was unable to walk without crutches for months and even when I was starting to walk, I knew I had limits and my crutches would often accompany me for back up

I wish you well in hike recovery

• Posted

Hi

I feel your pain...nobody new that braking an ankle would throw your life upside down like this, it only really hit me after my ORIF on how long I would have to be oof my feat and away from work PLUS I broke my ankle on my batchelors party and we already paid for the wedding and honey moon 5 weeks after....

So...I went straight to the internet and looked for shotcuts because I jad to do the first dance and stand at the alter...

Weeks post opp I went for 5 sessions of hyperbarric treatment....long story short....

5 weeks after ORIF I stood infront of the priest and did my first dans

I have to say the pain was bad I started full weight baring 4 weeks after ORIF and I kid you not the pain was 15 out of 10 but I pushed through and was determined

Its now 9 weeks after opp and I can walk but with a limp and a compression sock. I still swell up but to put it into perspective...I can walk for an hour and then rest with my foot up for half an hour and so on

I am thinking of going for more hyperbarric sessions

Good luck and dont give ip

• Posted

I broke my ankle in three places June 23 rd and had surgery 29th after I traveled 7 hours to get home. They put me into a cast 12 days later and had cast removed aug 7th about 4 was. I have felt pushed constantly like I’m on a marathon. Today to try to do what doc ask I put on compression socks and tennis shoes and put weight on my foot. I’m in so much pain now I can’t sleep. I’m going back to boot will continue to wear compression socks and will work on walker. I use crutches for outside or when I go places but I swell terribly. This has been so terribly hard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.