Pain after cataract surgery

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just had my cataract surgery on my right eye 12 hours ago.  I have a lot of pain in the eye when i blink - feels like there is a pice of glass in in. Does that sound normal?  I read that there may be discomfort but this feels more than that.  My vision is no better yet but I understand that vision can improve over the days.  Thanks

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Colleen

your pain is not normal for having cataract surgery.  You should contact your doctor to report this.

hope you can get this relieved quickly!

• Posted

Hi / did you have your post op check up with surgeon? It is usually next day after surgery. Have opthamologist check it.
  • Posted

As far as I know, you should not be having any pain at all. You should have been given a phone number to call in case you are in pain or lose vision, I would suggest you call?
  • Posted

Hi Colleen

Everyone is different when it comes to cataract surgery, I had severe pain for 4days after my first eye was done, they said it was due to pressure, they gave me tablets to take and after 4 days it went, the pain was unbearable, it was so bad that I decided not to have my other eye done, but after the pain went I did get it done a couple of months later, again I had the same pain but this time, like you I had the feeling that there was something in my eye and even after the pain went, again after 5 days this time I still had a feeling of something in the eye  and it was at it worst when my eye was closed so when I went to bed it was difficult to sleep.  This was last August, it eventually went away, my sight is OK but my eyes feel heavy and a bit gritty but I am putting up with this because its good to have my vision.  I dont use drops at all but I think if you do it would help any gritty feeling I just cant stand putting anything in my eyes, I put drops in my husbands eyes every day he has blepheritis.  I could go on all day about the op, when I asked if anyione had experienced pain after surgery nobody seemed to except me so I gave up.  Please be paitent, the pain will go, have you told them about it? and are they doing anything to help.  To be honest the after care is awful, they dont really tell you enough about what to do when you get home, I bathed with boiled water cooled, bought the round cotton wool pads from Tesco, £1, its important that you just use one for each eye each time and only rum very gently from the inside of the closed eye to the outside and only once then throw it iawa, do this three time and the same for the other eye. I also used the drops they gave me until the session was over, about a month, then I just bathed.  If there is anything else you would like to ask me please do and please be patient, again you have to find out why you are having the pain, this is important, please let me know what they say and how you are, my pain too was so bad I was beside myself, its the not knowing thats disturbing too.

Regards Agnes

• Posted

Thanks for all the information.  I do not have any pain today, only a bit of discomfort.  I saw the surgeon today and he dismissed my concern about pain, saying that "some discomfort is normal".  I also realized that he placed a lens for near vision yesterday, rather than what I thought he was going to do which was a lens for distance.  So no driving yet.  Second surgery is scheduled for August 8.

• Posted

What you might be feeling is the suture.  Your doctor should check it.  Did you get a multifocal lens?
    • Posted

I had a monofocal lens- I considered the multifocal but heard too many things about halos around lights and difficulty driving at night

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.