Pain after Cortisone shot

Posted , 4 users are following.

My doctor drained fluid from my knee and gave me a cortisone injection last Thursday. Saturday night I did some quad stretches and knee was sore Sunday and today i(Monday) it is painful. Is this normal?

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If you don't give it time to work and heal, the whole thing was a waste of time. I bet by the end of the week is swelled back up. I am not a fan of cortisone. I don't think I have heard of a handful of ppl it helped. And those it only helped for a short amount of time. It's cheap, insurance never fights the docs on it. So they use it first. Think it makes it easier to get approved for synvisc or surgery if they say they tryed a cheaper fix first.

• Posted

I had the same thing happen after all of my cortisone shots.  I'd never do it again.

• Posted

It is now Thursday after the Monday I posted this.  Called my doctor who told me to rest, take OTC anti inflammatory such as naproxen or ibuprofen and "lie low" & to call back Friday if not better. Seems I am having a "cortisol flare".  It is better, only hurts now in the back of the knee when I walk on it. I have had cortisol shots before without any problem and they really helped. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.