Pain after eating

Posted , 5 users are following.

For the last few days sometimes even before I have  finished eating I am getting tummy ache pain in the middle of my stomach.  It is below the ribs but in the middle.

It doesn't matter what I eat I still get it and it lasts for quite a while. I have started to drink peppermint tea afterwards to see if that will help. Sometimes it does but not always.

Is this now the start of the symptoms that you get with gallstones as I only got the headaches and nausea.

Is there anything that you did to help alleviate it after you ate. I am hoping it's not as I got discharged from the hosptial last week as I wasn't having the pain that is associated with it.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anita

The tummy ache you describe does sound typical of GB symptoms. I had the ache in the Middle under my ribs, like a bloated feeling. I also had the nausea. My symptoms were intermittent so I wasn't convinced I needed surgery. But they removed a 3cm stone via key hole 11 days ago now and I feel so much better already. No more nausea. Introducing fats slowly but hAd no diarhoea like a lot of people have. Although I am tired and weak from the incisions but otherwise feel great. Have you had a scan? Maybe go back to your GP. Xx

• Posted

Hi. I have 1 stone nearly 1" in size. I only went last Wednesday to see the consultant and he postponed the op as I hadn't fully made up my mind to have it. I wasn't having any pain then this has come on since then but am having it after every meal.  I will give it until next week then if I still have it I will go and see the Dr.
    • Posted

PPY delighted to hear your surgery went well and you are one of the lucky ones! Did they just remove the stone and not the gallbladder? Hope you continue to improve. Take care xx
    • Posted

Hi Ace

They removed my gallblAdder. I hope it continues to improve. I do still get the occasional mid back ache but I know it's early days and is bearable so will just see how that goes but it is lovely to no longer feel nauseous and bloated. How about you ? X

• Posted

Hi PPY so glad your improving. I'm ok. Still have the nausea every morning. It's been a nightmare. Hopefully will settle down soon. Was your gallbladder Inflamed or was it just the stones? X
    • Posted

Hi Ace

I'm not entirely sure if it wAs inflamed or just the gallStones. I think I caught mine early tho before it got too bad. Some of the stories on here I feel so sorry for people. What is happening with you then? When did you have yours removed? Everyone's recovery is different. I know so many people who have had this op and they all have different outcomes. I did eAt some cake tonight which I dont think had agreed with me x

• Posted

Yes mine was just one large stone and gallbladder was ok. Doctor recommended getting it out now in case it got worse. Was getting pain. I'm one of the unlucky ones it seems. Had mine out in December and had bad diarrhea for weeks and then at end of January started vomiting every day and dry wretching. In and out of hospital having tests all clear and then told it was a side effect of the op. They don't know why it happens or how long it will last. Haven't vomited in 5 weeks just have horrendous nausea primarily in the morning times now. My gp is great though she's had a number of patients that this has happened to and they all got better. One vomited and had diarrhea for 8 months solid and then it stopped. I did read the horror stories before the op but didn't think it would happen to me. It's been very hard for my family too and hard psychologically as well. To go in for an op and come out a lot worse off is hard to accept. I can only hope it settles down in time. Please God you'll be ok too. I just spoke to 2 of my cousins who've had theirs removed. One had it done 30 years ago and has had diarrhea everyday since and the other had it done a year ago and is perfect can eat what she wants no diarrhea indigestion or constipation! It's mad! Xx
  • Posted

Hi anita sorry to hear this. Have you had a scope to rule out gastritis? I had pain from the stone which was under my right rib cage and also in my back. It was a burning stabbing pain. I didn't have pain in my tummy but maybe others have. Have you tried any antacids to see if they help. Be careful of any proton pump inhibitors as they will aggravate the gallstones. Try high strength New Zealand Manuka honey and take 1 teaspoon 30 minutes before you eat 3 times a day and see does it settle it. It's great for tummy inflammation or you could also try Apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon in a cup of hot water 3 times a day. Also good for tummy acid and dissolving stones. X
    • Posted

Hi,

I was on lansaprazole for a while and I am sure that they caused my stomach polyps so I am loathe to get back on them again. Plus I didn't like the side effets that you got with them.

I will look into the honey but am too afraid to take anything that will break a stone up incase a piece blocked the duct. Hubby said about trying gripe water so I might give that a go.

• Posted

Hi Anita hope the honey helps you. Yes lansoprazole has bad side effects. PPI's can cause and aggravate gallstones so keep away from them for now. If you have a health shop near you maybe ask them for advise. It's worth a try for now. Take care xxx
  • Posted

Don't ignore this. I had it for a week before I did anything about it, turned out I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed a couple of weeks ago.

Have an ultrasound to check this out. I waited 4 months for operation.

If it is gallstones you want to find out and get yourself on the operation list sooner rather than later

Hope this turns out to be something more minor

Take care.

Love Sarah xxx

• Posted

Hi Sarah,

I have 1 gallstone and as it wasn''t causing me any pain the consultant said that it was ok not to have the op but if things got worse or I changed my mind about the op then I need to get referred again.  This is somthing that has just started and am hoping it will setttle down.

• Posted

anita03601... first go totally fat free for a w eek or so this will tell you if it is the blocked gall bladder, If there is  no fat at all to digest then the GB won't try and squirt bile which when blocked will cause the discomfort..trust me I know! A 1" stone will be blocking the bile duct. Take my advice have the GB removed, it's not worth ending up with Pacreatitis like a very good friend of mine and has now lost two thirds of his due to a necrotising (dying) pancreas. He just ignored everything. The operation is very common these days..basically it's  better out than in! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.