Pain after EMR for Barretts

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi. My husband was diagnosed with Barretts about 5 yrs ago. And just recently had an esophageal mucosal resection for adenocarcinoma. We're waiting on pathology to come back with results this week but it's been a week and a half and he's had constant pain, like swallowing shards of glass, as he describes it, going down from the middle of his chest down into his stomach. He's been eating soft foods, on a lidocaine mylanta mixture but he is so frustrated. This is just the start of this treatment, depending on the results. Has anyone else had an EMR and experienced this sort of pain after? And for how long?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,Ilhart i think you & also your husband r passing through a very tough situation.can you tell me, what's your husband's age??? was he diagnosed with dysplacia??? I heard that EMR can cause esophageal stricture,but it may not be just after EMR. just follow his doctor's advice. or if the pain doesn't subside consult with his doctor as early as possible. hope he will be okey very soon...

• Posted

Hello Senjuti 14098.

Thank you for your response. My husband is 49yoa. He was diagnosed with HGD with adenocarcinoma. We are calling the GI physician today for more answers. He is going on 2 weeks of upper abdominal pain and not eating properly. He can only tolerate some fluids. Praying we get answers today.

• Posted

Sorry to hear he's having a difficult time.  I had a mucosal resection and had a little soreness for a day or two.  It was more like a scratchy throat.  Your husband's experience doesn't sound normal.  Has he been in touch with his doctor?  I had Barrett's with high grade dysplasia and after the resection, had a Nissen fundoplication and hernia repair.  The hernia was bleeding and causing the silent reflux.  I'm scheduled for an ablation with a possible second one depending on how much of the Barrett's he can remove the first time.  So there is hope.  My GI doctor said my risk of cancer would be reduced to 1% if the Barrett's didn't recur in a year.   I've been surprised that the treatment hasn't been all that bad.  I'm very grateful to have excellent doctors (surgeon and GI).   I hope things continue to improve for your husband.  

• Posted

Thanks for your response. He's been in constant pain and the GI doc gave him an ingestible lidocaine mixture but it's not helped. He is calling the doc back today for path results and to discuss this constant pain. He had the soreness in his throat but that went away. This resection has been pain fun for him and I'm leaning toward helping him find a new GI doc. I'm just not convinced this physician is fully invested in my husband's case. He seems very laid back and non caring. Maybe I am reading too much into it, but 10min before he was wheeled into getting his first EMR we were told if this didn't work he would need his entire esophagus removed. No consult. Nothing. Hoping for more answers after today but I really hope my husband opts for a new GI physician.

• Posted

If you have a teaching hospital near you, you might want to check to see if they have a GI doctor who specializes in Barrett's.  I was lucky enough to find one and the surgeon specializes in hernia surgery and has done hundreds of Nissen surgeries.  Has he already been diagnosed with adenocarcinoma based on a pathology report?   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.