Pain after endoscopy? Chest pain, discomfort swallowing

Posted , 100 users are following.

I had EGD yesterday with sedation. Felt pretty much fine yesterday, minus a little chest discomfort when breathing in deep. Today I've had no appetite and have discomfort swallowing, and a persistent discomfort in my chest. Waiting for call back from doctor. In meantime, reading about perforation and wondering if this sounds serious. I don't want to go to ER for a bunch more tests if this is normal. Does anyone have any experience with pain like this following endoscopy? Thanks very much.

1 like, 238 replies

238 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Been busy with Easter weekend. But I am completely better. I guess for anyone else who comes on here following us, it is common especially if they take biopsy. The pain will go away after a few days! Good luck to everyone
    • Posted

Thank you for the information. I can stop panicking. Had an endoscopy and all was fine until I ate afterwards. Three bites of food and chest pain at a 7. That lasted about 8 hours. Switched to liquids. The constant pain has mostly gone away, but still had pain with just liquid. Doctor told me to take Tylenol for pain so I made rice to get something more solid in my stomach, and that didn’t give me any pain. So, eat rice that is not too hot. Much better than yesterday, but still discomfort at a 2-5 for pain. 
  • Posted

I had endoscopy and colonoscopy yesterday morning.  Throat feels swollen inside and chest pain making it difficult to swallow. I went in due to ongoing lower abdominal discomfort.  No upper GI symptoms.  When I come out of the procedure the doc tells my wife that I had a constriction in my esophagus (Shatzski's ring) that he dilated so i may have a little sore throat.  My wife taped this conversation so I know that's all he said about it! There had been no discussion of this prior to the procedure.  And the potential for days of moderate to severe discomfort should have been discussed. I am a dentist and I always try to explain the potential for pain or discomfort to patients so that they don't become overly concerned if it happens.  And if it doesn't happen, then great.  But give people a heads up! This is ridiculous to say the least. Fortunately I feel confident based on the experience of others on this post that this will pass in a couple more days.  Thanks to all for your posts.

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this matt. As a former nurse, I entirely agree with you - as I've posted several times on other threads in these boards. I too wa

• Posted

Sorry to hear about this matt. As a former nurse, I entirely agree with you - as I've posted several times on other threads in these boards.

Oops - wrong key and no edit function on this site!

As I was saying - I too was always angry when doctors refused to warn patients of possible after-effects of procedures, ditto side-effects of drugs (and forbade the nurses to do so as well, sometimes on pain of dismissal). As you may have worked out, the rationale for this was the idea that if you tell patients they might suffer some effects, they'll immediately imagine they're getting them. Apparently they'd rather have their patients fly into a panic, imagining they've been seriously harmed, as many less knowledgeable have done on these boards.

Given your status as a fellow professional, perhaps you could raise this matter with your doctor?

I wish you a quick recovery.

Lily

• Posted

Hi there, 

I had an endoscopy under general anaesthetic about 5 days ago.  (I have had colonoscopies before with the same doctor, and they have always been without incident.)  I did experience some discomfort in the chest and upper abdomen - also under the ribs at the back.  Also, I have felt quite nauseous since the procedure, although this is now subsiding.  Prior to the procedure, my symptoms seemed to indicate I might have an ulcer.  However, the biopsy results have ruled this out, and I am now being tested for something else.  Glad I had the endoscopy as I feel one step closer to finding out why I am feeling ill. ill.  

• Posted

Just had EGD yesterday afternoon Only had throat spray was very uncomfortable but managed it, soon as the throat spray wore off I had a little burning feeling in my chest but seemed to ease after a glass of water. I come home had some tea (tuna pasta) and a couple cups of tea then went out and done some work in the garden. When I came in to wash my hands I noticed that my eyelids had a rash over them so I popped into the doctors to see if they could just take a look turns out it’s from the reching that’s caused the blood vessels in my eye lids to rupture basically got two black eyes this also wasn’t mentioned as a possible effect. Went to bed fine but was woken at 3am with terrible pain in my chest tried to sleep it off but couldn’t nod back off started to panic and got my heart racing was just about to leave for A&E before I read this as I thought I was having a heart attack. I must say I suffer from an abnormal heart rhythm which makes me very chest sensitive anyway but so glad I found you guys nice to know I’m not alone with this pain 

• Posted

Update : Well about 3-4 days after my endoscopy the feeling in my throat of swelling or fullness had decreased almost to the point of not being noticeable.  However, the pain in my chest that made it difficult to get food down, (even hurt to swallow water), took about 5-6 days for significant improvement.  I am now back to normal thankfully.  Unfortunately there are no definitive answers to my original symptoms.  Sigh..
    • Posted

Hi Matt..so i was in the same boat as you. The ENDOSCOPY seemed to make me feel worse!

So anyway, they found out i had H pylori. Which is A bad Bacteria, & so on....How ever, thats not whats causing my chest pain!. When i eat, i get pain in my chest, bloating, & its just awful!. So now i eat easy & lite meals. I have to chew my food almost as if i am eating Apple sauce. Yep. Suxx...Anyway. So today i had another Procedure done, called Manometry....Thats probably your Dr.s next move. The tube is inserted in your nose & goes to your Stomache. It has several sensors...Its not fun at all, so FYI. I am Hoping they figure out my Issue Asap!. Im miserable....anyway. good luck!smile

• Posted

Glad to hear you're feeling better, but sorry you haven't got any answers.

Can you try identifying, and thus avoiding, circumstances (certain foods, sleeping position etc.) that trigger your symptoms? I started getting symptoms of what was pretty clearly GERD in my mid-30s, but resisted going the investigation and medication route advised by my doctor. I worked out which factors triggered the attacks and have succeeded in managing it myself for the last 40 years.

• Posted

Help with endoscopy  worry with opain after
  • Posted

Just wanted to add that more recently I have been getting chest pain.   Had the procedure on April 4th - so about a month ago.  I had minor issues of nausea and stomach ache the following week, but that went away.  More recently, I have been waking up in the morning with chest pain.  The bones in my chest are quite sore.  I do tend to suffer from joint pain sometimes, and have in the past been diagnosed with costcochondritis.  I assumed that's what it was, but I haven't had pain like this before in the middle of my chest, and am now wondering if it is from the endoscopy.   The pain tends to go away fairly quickly once I am up and moving around. 

• Posted

Ok, I’ve already posted on here regarding my endoscopy concerns, and I’m really freaking out. I’m on day 10 since having my endoscopy done and I’m STILL having difficulty swallowing certain foods, then it feels like the food has either scratched my esophagus or is still stuck in it. Then I have some mild chest discomfort following. At night when I’m laying on my back my throat feels like it’s closing and I’m choking. This feeling is somewhat relieved when I lay on my left side. My anxiety is due to the fact that prior to my scope, the dysphagia was super mild and happened like once or twice. Now it’s every day since the scope. I had no nighttime choking sensation until a couple days after the scope. What the heck is going on?! I’m going to call the doc tomorrow, but I’m already anticipating being brushed off. I’m really nervous. 😕 Any insight is appreciated!

• Posted

As I had written previously, I had a lot of pain and discomfort right after the endoscopy, but it went away after about 10 days.  The reason I went for the endoscopy was because of mild dysphagia.  They did not find anything - negative for all bacteria including H.Pylori, and no evidence of reflux (which is what the ENT diagnosed before the endoscopy by the gastro doc.)  It's been 6 months and I can't say that the swallowing has improved.  The choking sensation *might* be esophageal spasms from if your esophagus got bruised from the endoscopy.  I've just decided to live with the dysphagia.  I chew my food a lot, and take lots of sips of water when eating. 

Wish I had better advice for you.  Call the doctor, but try not to worry. 

• Posted

Thanks. It’s so hard not to be worried. More like angry since this issue was barely one until the endoscopy and esophagus dilation. They never told me they would stretch it. I had the endoscopy done due to bad laryngeal reflux and regular heartburn symptoms. I had already been diagnosed with a small hiatal hernia 6 years ago with another endoscopy (that never caused any problems after). They supposedly found nothing wrong he said after this endoscopy. So why did they stretch the esophagus?! That’s a question for the doc I know. Just frustrating and now I’m kicking myself for having one. No more though. I may ask for a barium swallow (not invasive). Have you had one of those, Norris?
    • Posted

The doc did tell me beforehand that if there was a narrowing they would stretch it, but since the swallowing problem never seemed to be that far down where the narrowing typically occurs, I didn't think that was the cause.  Anyhow, what he told me afterwards was that there was very minor narrowing, he could easily get the tube through, but they STILL stretched it!!  Since you and I had similar post-endoscopy symptoms, it's possible it was due to the stretching that didn't need to be stretched. 

I never had the barium swallow.  I did some research beforehand and came to the same conclusion that the doctor said - which is that if they find anything on the swallow, you'd have to get the endoscopy for further follow-up.  If they don't find anything and you're still having problems, you'd have to get the swallow for further follow-up.  So either way you end up with endoscopy, so the swallow seemed like a waste of time.  I further found out that one of the reasons many doctors still push for the swallow test first is that it's easier to get approved through insurance! 

• Posted

Oops....I wish they had an edit function here.  I realize I typed incorrectly in my reply above, second paragraph third sentence which said "If they don't find anything and you're still having problems, you'd have to get the swallow for further follow-up" should have been "If they don't find anything and you're still having problems, you'd have to get the endoscopy for further follow-up."

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.