Pain After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 31 users are following.

Last November I suffered severe pains in my stomach and back and after a scan was found to have gallstones and an inflamed gall bladder. I was told that I would need to have the gallbladder removed which I did five months after being first diagnosed. In that five months I eased the discomfort by cutting out dairy food and fried / fatty food (which I had little of anyway) . I did get pains but were manageable. I did lose a lot of weight though, I went from 13st 12lbs to 12 stone within about three months. This was drastic as I was still eating.

I had the operation to remove my gallbladder on 4 April and came out of hospital on the same day. Unfortunately one of the "wounds" from the operation got badly infected and an abscess formed. This led me being taken into hospital for 5 days for the infection to be cut away and put on a strong course of antibiotics. Unfortunately I haven't felt well since the gallbladder removal, leaving aside the abscess, I still get considerable pain from my stomach most days. I have to go to the toilet more which is quite loose and I get dreadful indigestion making me want to burp quite a bit. I was hoping to put on some weight as I am very thin but sadly if anything it has gone down a bit more.

My GP says I have to be patient and it will get better. Has anyone else suffered symptoms like this after a gallbladder removal ? Any comments appreciated.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello, had open cholecystectomy 4th February 2017. Couldn't have laparoscopic procedure as stones also in bile duct so gallbladder removed, stones removed from duct then duct stitched back up. I'm a 67 year old female- normally fit and active and usually good with pain. Had previous surgery (hysterectomy) twenty years ago and don't recall level of pain I'm getting now. Discharged morning of 9th February with oral antibiotic, paracetamol and ibuprofen but these don't touch the pain I'm getting 9 days post op. Wound site not too bad but bottom rib on rh side is very painful. Thought they'd cracked a rib but had chest X-ray as had chest infection which showed partially collapsed right lung due to infection (raised temp and low sats). The pain from this rib area so bad wakes me. It is constant but varies in intensity. I've taken it easy with food and am still eating low fat but had little problem with bowels and digestion. Maybe going to be lucky on that one. So it's really just the pain situated over the bottom rh rib. Anyone else having this?

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed on 2/14/17. I started having sharp stabbing pain the next day to the mid to right side around the 2 incision sites. I have numbness to the skin and now I'm having this pain happen whenever I stand, sit, bend, cough, essentially with any movement. I have a high tolerance for pain but this is hurting really badly. It feels like somebody is ripping a piece of my inside off in a fast motion.

• Posted

Hi Peggy my names jayne had gallbladder removed and adhesions removed from bile duct .on 8th march 17 , I am and have been in pure agony when I try to sit up get out of bed or stand. The pain is just awful like muscles inside are being ripped apart. It so bad it's making me scream out . I'm so scared about moving it's really that painful. I wanted to ask you how long you suffered ? And how are you now ? . I'm at the end of my tether because it's just pure agony . But scars ect r fine maybe one a little bit angry . Sorry for all the questions but I'm desperate for help. Kindest regards

• Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed on the 9.2.2017, I had to be cut open as they couldn't do it laposcopically as my gallbladder was so inflamed it had stuck to my lung.

I woke up with a drain in my right side for excess bile that was lingering, was kept in for 3 weeks then sent home with the drain still in and just having my dressing changed twice a week by district nurses.

It's now 3 weeks later and within that time the stitch that was holding in my drain came undone and slowly the drain slipped out my side, by this time there was very little fluid coming out and it hasn't been bile for weeks.

I have my check up this Friday with the surgeon which I'm glad to have as over the past 2 days I have had a severe agonising stitch like pain under my right breast, right in at my rib, it doesn't hurt when I sit, or lie down but is very sore when I stand up to walk, even pressing down on the area doesn't hurt, but it is so sore it almost takes my breath away when I stand.

2 nights ago I did try to sleep on my right hand side and wished I hadn't bothered as the next day I was so sore (I have slept on my back since op) and it's been sore since then, I'm praying I have maybe just caused something myself like pulled something inside maybe while moving about. Other than that I have been pretty lucky for the moment. Hope you all find relief soon...has anyone else got this severe stitch like pain? xxx

• Posted

I am going through the same thing. I had my gallbladder removed in August of 2016. Are you sure you have the right date? Sept. 2 2017 has not come yet. I went through months of very bad pain before they finally did surgery on me. 

I will make this brief as it is a long story. The first doctor who was suppose to operate on me, set up my surgery after his vacation, out of the country. I got worse while he was gone. My gallbladder was very infected. They did a ultra sound and I had so many stones you could barely tell where my gallbladder was. 

I was in and out of the hospital several times pumped full of antibiotics. This went on for several months until finally a doctor agreed to operate. When he went in laproscopicly, 5 different places. He stated he has never seen such a mess. My doctor said they should have operated on me long ago. 

Since August of last year I have had unbearable pain on my right side under my breast. They did every kind of test on me and said they could find nothing wrong and I would have to give it time to heal...or suck it up. BULL.

I am trying pain management and so far they put needles in my back with cortisone and no help at all. 

I have to sleep on my back. The pain takes your breath away. I feel so sore like something is tugging on me from the inside. I need a second opinion, something is not right. Everytime I move I feel pain.

• Posted

Forgot..I had the billary tube in for 4 weeks, among other tubes.
    • Posted

Hi Jean,

I am in the UK that's how we write the date, it was the 9th if Feb 2017, the date before the month lol sorry for the confusion.

I sorry to hear you are still in so much pain after such a long time, I had the hospital today and like you was told I would still be in alot of pain and to come back in 3 months and see how things are by then.

My pain seems to be worse after sitting leaning forward, once I try to sit up straight and stretch myself, or if I twist myself round too quickly.

I'm hoping it does go away soon, keep intouch and let me know how things are going for you.

• Posted

I will Tracey, Right now I am going to try and get a second opinion and see if anything can be done about this. I am concered about the pain center being able to help me.
  • Posted

I have noticed on most of these sites, the dicussins are posted long ago with no follow ups. Are you still around?
    • Posted

An update.

I had open cholecystectomy on 4th February 2017 followed by liver resection 10th March through same incision. When I last posted I was in a lot of pain especially lower right rib area and couldn't move or stretch in any direction without bad pain.

I'm now almost five months post op and feeling much better. Time really is a great healer. I have more energy now. Symptoms I have now are sleepiness (not the awful exhaustion I felt pre op, just can fall asleep anywhere any time - guess that's my body's way of catching up on all the sleep I've lost) and tenderness on the lower right rib still. However I can sleep on my right side again. I have to be monitored for five years and have an appointment scheduled for September.

I don't have any real issue with digestion. I was prescribed Omeprazole but am no longer taking it. I still eat a low fat diet with plenty of fibre to absorb excess bile. I find I can eat fats in moderation: one egg is fine, but two gives me slight pain- couldn't eat a three egg omlette, curries and pizzas that are high in fat or fish and chips, also can't eat large meals as that bloats me. I don't drink alcohol at all now (never had more than the odd glass of wine anyway) and I've never smoked. But I can live like this if it means no pain and no digestive issues. I think that your body has to adjust to not having a gallbladder but you have to adjust mentally also to not being able to eat certain foods. They tell you you can live without a gallbladder and will be able to eat 'normally'. It depends on their definition of what is normal. I think you have to be prepared to make some restrictions to your diet. It's also very hard when eating in restaurants. So much food has hidden fat. I don't understand why, with so many suffering digestive illnesses, we have to have so many full fat dressings like mayonnaise on the menu and fries, chips, curried and spicy chilliest and salsa sauces. Often all they offer as a healthy option seems to be salads with limp lettuce and still dressed in oily dressing. If you watch a chef cooking on tv, they put huge amounts of butter, cream and oil into the food. No wonder the population is getting fatter! And no wonder more and more of us are getting digestive issues. I've always eaten healthily at home but you can't control what is in the food when you eat in restaurants. Wish somebody would create dishes for people like us!

• Posted

Hi Cathy. I just registered so I could reply to you! Have you sorted your stomach out yet?

If not please do some google searches for MALS and SMA syndrome. Basically it's something that can cause severe pain and it can be worse after eating. I have similar issues to you.

I will copy and paste my symptoms..

Basically I've had 'attacks' of stomach pain since 19 years ago. (2 weeks after my son was born.) it's been intermittent since then also.

It is agony worse than childbirth mostly and until now the Drs fobbed me off with all sorts of things for a long time. No pills have ever really helped. Oromorph helps if I am in agony. But I don't take anything else really. I'm trying aspirin in case it is MALS but I'm still undiagnosed.

The pain I get is right through the top Center of my stomach behind my sternum through to my back.

I found Last year that vomiting often stops the pain dead in its tracks! (I was given oromorph to try for pain relief as I kept ending up in an ambulance going to a&e, the medicine made me sick and the pain went!)

The attacks stopped for several years but last year came back, I had two and thought I better get my gallbladder removed as it had lots of stones in. This was the biggest mistake ever as the attacks happen so much more often now! Once it happened a few times a year and now it's every few days. Sometimes longer sometimes 3 times in a day. Happens about 5 hours after eating.

Anyway, I've got a referral to a vascular surgeon in london that my dr is putting through and I've spoken to him and another surgeon in Germany who said it sounds like I have MALS and/or wilkie syndrome! They both agreed to see me.

I have the hollow curved bit at the bottom of my back, I'm not skinny. I weigh 60 kilos and I'm 5'3. I did lose weight purposely a while ago because I was getting fat but think the attacks started before then.

I sometimes get breathing issues like I can't take a deep satisfying breath but not had that for a while.

I also have redness on my face, looks a bit like rosacea but the creams don't help.

I get a feeling before I get the pain. I know an attack is coming on, it's like sheer dread. Then I get the pain.

I think laying on my left stops/prevents me waking up in pain! The attacks happen mostly when I'm in the car as a passenger or sleeping! Or walking after eating.

Recently I ended up on google and found out about MALS and SMA syndrome. My gastroenterologist wouldn't do anything about it as he's never heard of it. In the end I wrote direct to two professors/ vascular surgeons who both agreed to see me!! One said in reply it sounds just like MALS and or 'Wilkie syndrome' (that's another name for SMA. I then got a referral from my gp and got to go see thes professor in london. They did a colour Doppler ultrasound and guess what? It showed there nightmare be something wrong with my Celiac artery!! (That's what MALS is). Also they've just done a cta c t angiogram scan and I'm now waiting to see if I have SMA or MALS.

Please all look into these things!!

The usual suspect for MALS/SMA is a young woman or older girl.

Slim sometimes tall

Can u fit your hand under you right back where your waist is if you lie on the floor? That's a sign. 'Lordosis' that's called.

Pain eases sometimes with vomiting? (SMA sign)

Pain after eating, and walking or exercise? (SMA sign)

Just google it if any of these things sound possible. Sometimes it says many with SMA are scared to eat and they lose so much weight. The more weight you lose the worse it gets. I hope this info might help someone!

Burping is also a symptom.

• Posted

(Sorry my last message said Cathy, I'd copied and pasted the whole thing, but thought it was very relevant to your case. Hope it might help you too!)

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed not quite two weeks ago laparoscopy. All said it would be easy and quick recovery.  Third day was the worst, next day trouble with speech, clammy, sweaty, and throwing up bile.  No energy, every one says take it easy do rush. but when i do the simplest things, my body feels like it just shuts down. Cant sleep, all my muscles hurt, joints hurt and feel like giving up. But when you live alone you don't have many choices to just sit around all day.  There is no way i could put a full days work in.  Bad part I am looking for a job and don't know when to tell them I can start work. Has anyone else experienced, exhaustion, other body pain like in hips and back?

• Posted

Hello I have had very similar issues, I can related 
  • Posted

You have just explained how I feel. Always ill. In pain withdiarrhoea. And vomiting. 

When I lay on the right side. It's feels like something is swollen and it hurts. Any ideas? Claire. X

• Posted

Hello Claire 

How are you feeling now ? After my surgery I felt fine and then started eating bad my pain came back 5 months after surgery 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.