Pain After Gallbladder Removal

Posted , 31 users are following.

Last November I suffered severe pains in my stomach and back and after a scan was found to have gallstones and an inflamed gall bladder. I was told that I would need to have the gallbladder removed which I did five months after being first diagnosed. In that five months I eased the discomfort by cutting out dairy food and fried / fatty food (which I had little of anyway) . I did get pains but were manageable. I did lose a lot of weight though, I went from 13st 12lbs to 12 stone within about three months. This was drastic as I was still eating.

I had the operation to remove my gallbladder on 4 April and came out of hospital on the same day. Unfortunately one of the "wounds" from the operation got badly infected and an abscess formed. This led me being taken into hospital for 5 days for the infection to be cut away and put on a strong course of antibiotics. Unfortunately I haven't felt well since the gallbladder removal, leaving aside the abscess, I still get considerable pain from my stomach most days. I have to go to the toilet more which is quite loose and I get dreadful indigestion making me want to burp quite a bit. I was hoping to put on some weight as I am very thin but sadly if anything it has gone down a bit more.

My GP says I have to be patient and it will get better. Has anyone else suffered symptoms like this after a gallbladder removal ? Any comments appreciated.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I AM NOT ALONE! I had my gallbladder removed 10 years ago.  I've had three endoscopies, been to Mayo, had my Pylorus stretched, told me I don't have gastroparesis (after they said I did), had CT scans, MRIs, emptying study...yet still nauseated to the point of throwing up, right ab pain, constipation, and elevated pancreatic enzymes.  And they call ME a mystery.  Said I had no stone blockage.  No SOD.  No MALS.  I take Marinol because I've lost 30 pounds.  I think I'm going crazy! And I see the surgeon tomorrow and he doesn't want to cut on me because he doesn't think he'll find anything.  I'm almost ready to LET him! This has been going on since September 2017.

• Posted

I had my gallbladder removed 7 weeks ago after suffering with it for 4 years , when it was removed I had a stone the size of a gold ball in there  , first three weeks I was sore on the outside as I had it removed by key hole and bruised on the inside ! Since the three week mark I have not been able to eat I get sevear pain in my upper middle and left side abdominal area sometimes radiating in to my chest ,I'm cutranlty living on porridge and mash  / jacket potato as these are the foods that cause me less discomfort ! After a hour of eating I have hours of pain in my stomach , feels like the food is just sitting there and not being digested,  I get bloated , really bad stomach cramps and I'm just in pure pain , sometimes it radiates in to my back mostly in the middle and over to the left ! Iv been back and forth to the doctors and been given numerous amount of pills I'm on pantoprazole which does help with the acid , Iv not experienced being sick although I do feel sick at times ! I'm loosing so much weight through not really eating , finally the doc agreed to refer me back to the surgeon who done my op for further investigation ! I'm at the end of my teather I can't put up with this pain no more it's worse now than it was when I had the gallbladder  ! Can anyone help with any sagestions on how I can get rid of this pain I'm so so hungrary but I just can't eat ! Any advice out the please ??

• Posted

you sound like me! i should have just kept the Gallbladder

• Posted

I just had my gallbladder removed & i am n severe pain n my stomach area. I read ur post from a year ago & was wondering if u could help me w any suggestions? 

• Posted

i just had my gallbladder removed four months ago. i feel like nothing has been accomplished. i went to doctor with severe pain on left side. I waited so long that my bilirubens were sky high and i had pancreatitis. They went down my throat and cleaned bile ducts and next day removed gallbladder. still having extreme pain on left side. started out once or twice a week till now daily . I'm seeing doctor but because my liver enzymes are getting higher and higher they are still looking at right side for problem. I'm at a loss. I haven't had a good day in weeks. Is there something i need to mention to my doctor to help her figure this out?

• Posted

Hello, I had my Gallbladder removed last Feb (11 months ago) I had no stones, sludge or infection. It just stopped working. When i found out I was afraid to have the surgery to remove it. 5 years later i had it done! Im still having the same pain/ discomfort. Upper Right side. Went to my primary Dr and had a ultra sound done. Fatty Liver now!!!! Not one to eat bad so IDK!!! Im just over this pain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.