Pain after gallbladder removal

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed five years ago and didn't have any problems until now I'm in agony with the pain and think it's where the gallbladder was located. It started with acid reflux, sharp pain in centre by sternum and on right side of ribs radiating through to back and shoulder. I've lost 2 stone in weight in a short period of time and the pain is now on left side of upper abdomen aswell as right, sharp stabbing pains constantly. I've had a blood test/ultrasound/chest X-ray/endoscopy off which all came back normal and am awaiting results from thoratic spine X-ray and a seh scan. I am due to have a mri of abdomen and want to get to the bottom of the pain. I've been on ompreazole and Lansoprazole for 4 months neither were helping so am no longer taking anything. Ive also tried Accupuncture to help but see no improvement. Help!!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Would like to know the results of your MRI when you have one.  It's the only test that I haven't done.  I had the pains on both sides BEFORE my gall bladder was removed.  My pain feels like some one has clamped my insides in vice grips and they are being twisted.  Couldn't survive without my TENS unit.
    • Posted

I will let you know results, I paid private and had it done today as its a process of elimination with the doctors which seems to be taking forever. Ive had a mrcp where they mainly check the pancreas liver and bilary tree aswell as the rest of stomach. When did you have your gallbladder out and were you pain free after the op. Are you in constant pain
  • Posted

Hi I also have all your symptoms, I had my gallbladder removed April 2013, had an mrcp in May 2013, have now been having attacks since September 2014, I have had a ct scan several MRI scans ultrasound scans numerous blood and urine tests I have also has gastroscopy and endoscopy everything has come back normal, I'm devastated I am struggling coping with this pain and it is as you describe like someone is grabbing your insides, went to a new doctor last week he said I had gastritis as I am being continually sick now after eating, he told me to take gaviscon and ranitidine I also take lansoprazole, I have been in agony now for a week and a half, I cannot eat as soon as I do I am throwing it up but the pain now lasts for hours and is far more intense, if you do get diagnosed please let all us fellow sufferers know. Good luck. Karen
    • Posted

Hi Karen, it's a relief when all the tests come back normal but doesn't answer why we are all suffering with so much pain. There has got to be a reason!! It's so annoying that doctors just keep prescribing ppi tablets like Lansoprazole, they work for some people but not everyone. It's all frustrating I've got a six week wait now to see my gi consultant but will keep you posted, he seems to think I have more than one thing going on, and I disagree as all symptoms started at the same time. Take care
  • Posted

So sorry that so many of us are inpain.  I had my gallbladder out about six months after the pain started because they detected some gallstones and thought that might be the problem.  Apparently it wasn't because that was a year ago last March.  

I lost 30 pounds at first because I thought that certain foods might be causing the pain.  I have mostly given up on the diagnosis since I've had all of the tests (except an MRI) and they all come out okay, and the doctors were making me crazy.

i now have a TENS unit which I use every day.  The pain only ceases when I sleep.

• Posted

I have also stopped eating certain foods and no longer drink any fizzy pop and drink a lot of squash to see if that helped at all and it doesn't. My appetite is very poor and blood tests reveal vitamin defiencies iron/vitamin d/folic. I'm gonna have to start taking multivitamins. What I can't get my head around is so many people complain off the same or similar symptoms after gallbladder removal so there must be a cause. It's a struggle to get up and do day to day things, work etc the pain really gets you down all you get from doctors are you stressed/depressed are you suffering from anxiety? I really hope and pray there is light at the end off it and we get better. Take care
    • Posted

I've read that 30% of all people who get their galbladders removed because of pain, still have the pain after the surgery.  If your pain came on after the removal, there is definitely a painful condition related to that.  I can't remember the name but my granddaughter found it on the Internet.   I'll try to look it up.

• Posted

Hi Rach/Jan

Sorry for being quiet I have just spent the last few days in hospital, the pain I had early hours Monday was so intense I was rushed to hospital in an ambulance, it transpired I had a bilary infection which caused my liver to become inflamed, the cause of this the doctor thinks is stones! Much to my surprise, I got home earlier today and am now waiting on another MRI, apparently you can make stones in the bike duct without your gallbladder, I knew the pain was similar but am shocked but also relieved they have found something as I truly thought I was going mad, I will keep you updated, good luck and don't give up, there is always a reason for pain and I think we have suffered enough.

• Posted

So happy that you got an answer for your pain.  That's so often not the case.  Keep us informed of your progess!   Sorry about the hospital stay though, those are never fun.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, so sorry to hear you've been admitted to hospital, but let's hope they've got to the bottom of your suffering. I hope you haven't got to wait too long for your scan as I know the wait is usually 6 weeks, that's why I decided to pay private and had one done as I'm convinced i have Bile stones stuck or even pancreas problems as the pains through my back and shoulders are unbearable. I phoned for my results today to be told by the receptionist your results are with the doctor if there is s problem he will call you. I'm not a happy bunny as I've paid for this and want the results for my next Gastro appointment. I hope you get sorted quickly and keep me updated. Take care
    • Posted

Hi Jan, I hope you are well. Yeh that would be interesting to find out what that's called.
    • Posted

Hi Karen, my mri results show I have a small cyst on my spleen and a cyst on my right kidney. I'm relieved my pancreas is fine and no stones were found in the ducts. I only found out purely because I kept asking the doctors for my results to give to my next consultant appointment, otherwise I may never of known. The receptionist said I would only get a call if there was a problem. I hope you are ok and are not in too much pain, let me know how you are doing.
  • Posted

Of course, I'm 73 and just about everyone I know has some sort of problem.  I am very active, even though the pain wears me out.  When I stopped worrying about what food I was eating, I've gained back all of my weight and no longer have the nausea that I had for a while.   Answers would be nice, but doctors are all just guessing anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.