Pain after gallbladder surgery - cause??

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 2 1/2 weeks after surgery. Sometimes in the evening i get stabbing pain where i used to have the constant dull pain. Wonder if it's because of what i ate? Or i overdid it physically? It doesn't always hurt so i don't think it's just surgery pain. I have been icing it but it doesn't always help sad

Anyone else have this? Sure hope it doesn't last!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Call your doc and go over what your experiencing with the nurse and ask for food diet and pain meds . It only been a short time from surgery. Pain meds will jell with stabbing pains and foods you eat can trigger pain. Ask for fatty foods fried foods or eating out always a good idea for the first few months.

sometime we are given antibiotics kill off all the good bacteria and leave Yeats behind. Taking supplement probiotics and eating yogurt has helped balance the gut bacteria. 

• Posted

Hello, I hope it settles down soon . Give it a little longer it should settle down . Try to eat a fat free diet if you can . If it persisits dont be worried about consulting your doctor . Report if there seems to be a slight swelling on the right side of the chest I think below the rib cage. I feel fine now I had mine done some time ago, the best thing I decided on . Iv no regrets. I hope that helps . 
  • Posted

Thanks for encouragement! It was bad last nite, but i had my family for our Thanksgiving, so i ate a little of a few things i shouldn't have - i tried to be good ha! - and i was bouncing babies on my lap - so i guess i shouldn't have been surprised. Just got worried.

Also my steri strips are still stuck tight! They say to let them fall off naturally but it's over 2 wks! Is it bad to leave them on so long?

• Posted

Hi, Sue,

It's still early days for you.  Try low fat, and if you use fat, keep to grass fed butter.  I use that, and coconut oil to cook with.  Eat small, frequent meals.  You could try the FODMAP diet, which is availale on line.  

Your body needs time to adjust to the new normal.  It will get better!  

Best of luck, let me know how you do!

• Posted

Id do as you were advised. See the doctor if your unsure. I just thought of what my consultant said to me when he asked if I had any questions. I had heard so much about what and what not to eat ....I asked him what should I avoid eating ? He answered and said anything you like in moderation. Im glad I asked the question because so many people were giving me warnings not to eat. I did what he said and like Iv said Iv no regrets and had a very settled time since my operation . Kevin 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.