Pain after Gallbladder Surgery? Should I be worried?

Posted , 22 users are following.

Newby here. I am about 5 weeks post lap chole and I have been having a hard time healing. Everytime I think I've healed, I get sharp muscle pains (I hope it's just the muscle), these pains also started to shoot over to the left side. My doctor said I just have inflammation of those muscles d/t too much activity or that I strained something, but how come there is nothing about that anywhere you read? I know not to trust "Dr. Google" but I just don't know how to determine if the pain is normal, I'm 28 years old and have a hard time remaining sedentary.

Today the pain came back again, with a vengeance. I was shooting pool last night and it didn't hurt then but when I awoke this morning, the muscles around my right side incisions were on fire. I'm just tired of the pain all the time, between that and the GI distress I am losing my mind! I was prescribed Colestid (bile acid binders) to help stop the frequent runs to the bathroom, might I add I haven't even been eating more than 10% of calories from fat (recommendation is 30%), but this has been to no avail. I almost wish I never had this surgery! I didn't have gallstones but had inflammation and severe pain, now that the pain is back it makes me worry I had a Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction but I really hope it's just the muscles telling me to stop straining them. Any thoughts? Do I just need to give it more time? Everyone else I talk to seems to have been just fine after their surgeries. 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I just saw your post I just had removal of my gallbladder last week I had

the same pain and my

nurse told me I was constipated so I took a shot of milk magnesia and

after I went

I did notice a difference .I was surprised because most get diarrhea after

surgery and I'm also taking an enzyme to help with digestion I'm

hoping I never get that pain because I had it before the surgery

and I had it after I'm hoping the enzymes work I took one today pain is there

a little but I can handle it I even ate home fries from a restaurant 5 hours

ago

so far so good thank God

• Posted

I have just found this site, I had my gallbladder removed 7rys ago and it's the worst decision I have ever made, I am in constant pain day and night, no matter what I eat makes no difference I have been to the Drs that many times and been fobbed off with that many different reasons why I am in so much pain that I don't bother anymore, but now I say I don't live I just exist. I would say to anyone else think twice before you have this op.

• Posted

Hi Joyce I have started taking pancreatine enzymes with bile in them they really helped me I also started taking milk thistle in hopes of helping the liver thinking that the liver needed help now that it stores the bile I tried a product called stone free before my surgery by planetary on amazon it seemed to help but the pancreatin enzymes have pinapple in them for some acid or bloating issues and they seem to cut down on the pain be willing to try these I only take one especially if I'm going to eat a large meal they have many companies that make them Amazon has tons of reviewers yesterday I even took tums thinking it as acid related pain if something makes me feel better I put that in my pill basket which is growing !! I also prey a lot asking for guidance so far the enzymes work the best I hope you give them a try start with one and see even if the bottle says two I hope this helps

• Posted

Joyce, did you have stones? Have doctors done further testing to find the source of your pain?
    • Posted

Yes I did have stones that's why I had my gallbladder removed but 3months later I asked to have another endoscopy because of the pain and I was diagnosed with bile reflux continually gushing into my stomach, this is something that does happen to some people and I am one of them, the only treatment is ppi tabs which I am already on a waste of time and anti sickness tablets which I was on for 4yrs then taken off me because it was found to cause heart problems 60 people worldwide had died from taking domperidome , so once yet again left with nothing just get on with it, that's why I wouldn't advise anyone to have this op unless it was desperate.

• Posted

Oh thank goodness I found this site.  I was starting to think I was over feeling pain. I had my surgery a few weeks ago. And have been having so many pain issues. Mostly right side and my back.  Really bad for the last 2 days under my right breast area where the gallbladder used to be.  Have lots of bloating in my abdominal area and I have to lie down frequently.  

The pain is not as bad as pre surgical pain. But is very alarming. I’m glad others have commented on this post. So I now know it’s not just me

• Posted

I will be two weeks post opp on Tuesday and today I was going about my business and all of a sudden I felt like I was being stabbed in my right side just under my rib cage. It is almost painful to breathe. I am currently laying down and it is getting better. I am curious what your doctor said?? I see mine tomorrow for my two week post opp visit. 
  • Posted

Last August I had cancer tumor on my liver, which matasticised from colon cancer. They decided that my gall bladder was in the way for this procedure right before surgery the doctor had me sign a paper. Six months later I am experiencing pain upper right side.

What's going on? All the xray's are negative.

• Posted

Hey this is to everyone on this thread. Please look up Intercostal Neuralgia. It’s a rare condition that can occur after having surgery involving the ribs EVEN if they just inflated you with gas. I had my gallbladder removed and a week later started having front rib pain...right in the same area as the gallbladder pain. No one could figure it out. The pain spread all the way across my front lower ribs and then over to my side ribs too. I was misdiagnosed three times by outstanding doctors before I was finally referred to a pain management clinic for more aggressive treatments (i.e. injections). It was there my pain doctor diagnosed me with Intercostal Neuralgia. By this point, the pain had spread all the way around to my back ribs too and I couldn’t be touched anywhere near my ribs at all. Turns out when they inflated me with gas it damaged three lower rib nerves all on my right side, from spine to sternum. Now, a little over a year later, I have tried all the treatments possible for this rare condition and we believe the chances of the nerves healing on their own are very very small and will take years if they do. Please read about Intercostal Neuralgia (not the tiny google blurb...a real article lol) bc when I went home after my doctor gave me this diagnosis, I researched this condition and IMMEDIATELY felt relief bc all the symptoms fit perfectly. If you have any questions let me know and I hope I could help steer at least one person in the right direction bc I know how much it sucked being in your guys’ shoes.
  • Posted

I seem to be suffering from this. The way you describe the symptoms. I am over 5 months post o.o and feel like I am bruised around my ribs. It moves around each day to different parts of my abdomen, ribs even my back. I was in severe pain after my surgery. I will research Intercostal Neuralgia. My GP just said it would take about a year to heal. That seems crazy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.