Pain after hernia surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

M/55. Double iguinal surgery in July 2016. Pain off and on since then. Initially was similar to pre-surgery pain in left scrotum. Very difficult to manage. More recently also developed pain in right ischeal region -- diagnosed as bursitis. Can't sit for more than a short time. Taken tramedol, voltarin gel, naproxen, and occasional OxyContin. Pelvic MRI normal. Kidney ultrasound normal. Yesterday had injection into coxyyx as possible that pain was originating there and going into hamstring/Ischial. Now can hardly sit as tailbone is aching badly.

Dr prescribed PT and gabaoentin/neurontin but hesitant to take gab due to possible side effects. Doctor also though left side pain was hip tendinitis radiating to scrotum. If any of these sound familiar and anyone has had success dealing with them please help!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear of your suffering. Severe pain is toughest to get thru. It's time consuming to cope with every day and still in pain and added areas of pain could need better management & physical therapy is what helped my back, hips & groin.

It seems like there are several different Pain issues that need to be addressed in your case and a good therapist can help, even deep tissue message does wonders. Meds in my case just coved the pain did not take away the pain. PT for my back & hip issues. warm packs and rest It help me a great deal. Water therapy like resistance therapy helped build up muscles gently in my back.and recumbent bike. Being consistent is the biggest thing to consider with therapy.surgery on herniated disc help a great deal. Sitting was the worst just became stiff movement keeps the oxygen and blood flow to the area to heal. Not everyone is the same or have the same experiences .

I wear a soft back support also keeps the stress and pressure off and learned to be mindful of things I do. Therapy can work with you on different techniques how to move thru minfullness. 

sometimes removeal of the fluid build up in the bursa sac where the bursitis is located helps. In my case finally the hip was xrayed after my constant complaints were my hip and groin pain and osteoarthritis was the cause of all pain took several months to finally get the correct diagnosis it was not a hernia after one was not found when hernia surgery was done. the hip joint was bone on bone with bursitis. When hip replacement was done they remove the bursa sac. After recovery no more groin pain.

See on this site symptoms of osteoarthritis and hip pain. Also bursitis & lower back treatments.  I hope you can get this sorted out soon. 

Injections in back & hip never really helped but a few days. I hope your better soon .

Wishing you a successful recovery on this journey to wellness. 

Keep in touch.

• Posted

I don't really have a lot to suggest to you because I don't know much about hernias but I do know a lot about back pain and chronic pain and not being able to sit down because it hurts too much. For one thing it was suggested that you use a recumbent bike but I doubt you'll be able to do that since you won't be able to sit. At least I couldn't do a recumbent bike. If you want to try one I recommend bringing a cushion with you, one like you would use on a kitchen chair works best for me. Try using that on the chair part of the recumbent bike in fact try using a cushion on every chair you sit on it might help with the sitting. Secondly I strongly recommend you do not use a back belts. They keep you from using your back which then makes your back muscles weak. That's at least what I've neen told. Now I do have an SI belt that my pain management doctor recommended I get that is entirely different. An SI belt sits much lower on the back in fact it's almost at your butt line. In fact while we're talking about SI joints I wonder if that might be your problem. Has anyone talked about your SI joints being your problem? Your SI joints sit blow your spine, they're kind of like right where your dimples would be. If you have somebody using their thumb push there and it hurts you'll know right away if it's your SI joint. And you can have radiating pain from your SI joint to your other areas like your scrotum and your pelvis that can be causing the problems you're having. And I'm sorry but my thoughts are scattered because I'm really kind of spitballing here. My best suggestion I can give you at this point is to find a pain management doctor. And pain management doctors are not all about giving you drugs. In fact in today's opiate addiction fear world it's far from that. But they can suggest things to do to try to find answers and they can also do things that can help with the pain that you're going through. Once you get some kind of control of the pain then you get into physical therapy that will help with the problem.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.