Pain after hip replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all sorry I keep posting. I was wounding how much till the pain goes away from the replacement. I found it really difficult getting out of bed this morning I burst into tears to be honest now i wish I never got it done. They only tablets they have gave me are dispersible aspirin and paracetamol. It's only been a hate since I've got home i thought that it will get better as the days go on.

Any advice

Thanks

Megan

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Sweet Megan:

So sorry you are in so much pain. It will get better, but it just seems like forever to you at the moment. The tears are also normal, and trust me we have all been there! The depression hits when we realize that we are not doing as well as fast as we thought we should be. I know how you feel right now, but one day you will be happy you had it done. It just takes time, and I am not going to tell you to try and be patient, because I need to learn to do that myself. I will tell you that the first week is the worst then the second, after that things seem to look up pretty good, at least for most of us. So try to hang in there, and if you are in to much pain can't you ask your GP for something a little stronger to help get you over the worst part? I sure hope that you feel better soon, and you don't have to apoligize for posting. That is why all of these wonderful hippies are on here, to listen and help and support one another. So you go ahead and post or vent or whatever you need. I am sending hugs, and well wishes....Barb

• Posted

Hi there. I am better this morning I have now got stronger pain killers, I've noticed to doing my excrise are starting to help. Thank-you for your comment. I just need to take each day as it comes. How long ago have you had your hip replacement ?

Thanks

Megan x

• Posted

I had my first one 10 weeks ago and am going in for my second (left) in 12 more days.....so here I go again. Glad you are feeling better today. Yes the exercises do help...wishing you well....Barb
  • Posted

Hi Megan,

i am 4 weeks post op for a simultaneous bi lateral hip replacement, so completely understand your frustration. I am still in some discomfort but I can assure you that as time passes you will feel better, although progress seems so slow, they sent me home after having both done at the same time on day 6 as I got up and walked on day 2 post op, but things that  I think have helped. My physio exercises, and my two hour sleep every afternoon. I am now walking with my canes, I can walk  without them but don't want to push it as my physio said to be patient. I am still in pain and experience quite a bit of stiffness at night and when I wake up. I know it is tough but trust me it gets better. Stay strong and try to keep positive. 

Bernie

• Posted

Hi there wow you had two done on the same day?? I could never do that, that must of been so hard?. I am glad your getting there it will be a week tomorrow since I had my right done. I need to get my left done in later life. Thank-you for your support and advice appreciate it.

Hope the rest of the recovery is good

Megan x

• Posted

Hi Megan

I am from New Zealand 4 weeks Post Op after receiving prosterior THR of my right hip. I am shocked with the lack of meds you received once coming home from hospital. You definitely need more at this stage. Yes you will feel discomfort and some pain but if you don't get anything to control the majority of pain it will delay your recovery I'm certain. Your enthusiasm to recover will be delayed as you are feeling all this pain. I do feel so sorry for you.  I am pretty much pain med free only on occasions if I feel groin pain after walking or exercising I will have soemthing. I'm Walking with 2 crutches when out at the supermarket etc, and generally 1 crutch around home. I feel like I can walk unaided but when I've tried I still have a limp and after reading many posts on this forum I'm going to use walking aids until the limp has gone so I don't get into a habit of limping long term. I saw PT each day while in hospital after Op which was 4 days, minus day of submission and discharge. PT gave me a range of exercises which I was to do for 5 - 6 weeks and then I'm to revisit PT who will provide more exercises pending my range of movement etc. I do concur with everyone who recommends doing your exercises, they definitely help in your recovery and honestly so easy to do while laying in bed or standing with your walking aids. My PT provided me with a handy tip when hopping in and out of the car, she advised I should place a plastic rubbish bag on the car seat as it helps when swinging your legs in and out of the car. A cheap addition while you are less mobile and such a help. I hope you get things sorted with your meds ASAP. Take care and all the very best :-)

• Posted

Hi there. How are you feeling now?. My mum wasn't to happy with them. Glad to here your getting there. I only got PT first day I got up that was only twice that day then the second day that was 3 times that day and that was it. I had OP everyday. I have been doing some exercise they seem to be helping a bit, still early stages it's only been a week. Might try that with the car did it really help?. Thank-you you too hope your well

X

• Posted

Yes the plastic rubbish bag did because it made the surface slippery so your butt moves freely on the car seat. I had purchased one of those swivel cushions but the rubbish bag is better. If used basically all someone needs to do is guide your feet into and out of the car.
    • Posted

Thank-you so much for letting me know I will definitely try the next time, I've not been back in the car since the day I got home ( 2 days ago).

Thanks

Megan x

• Posted

Megan,

sorry to hear of your struggles. Last year I had a double knee replacement. The meds my surgeon gave me (Hydrocodone) didn't do anything for the pain so I called his office and he sent me Fentanyl pain patches that worked wonderfully. Let your surgeon know the pain meds aren't working and that you need to try something else so you can continue your recovery and healing.  I get my hip replaced in September and will definitely speak up again if my meds don't work.

• Posted

Hi there thank-you for comment. It's ok I am getting just really slowly. I am going to give my doctor a phone today, to see what he can do for me. The first few days/ weeks are hard. Hope your recovery for your knee replaces went well!.

All the best for your hip replacement!

Megan x

• Posted

HI Megan

I understand how you feel, for the first 6 weeks after my op I thought I had made a huge mistake having it done,  the pain was awful and I didn't seem to be making any progress at all.  I would read other posts and think my op must have gone seriously wrong because I can't do any of the things other people can do.  

It is now 7 months since the op and although I have a difference in leg length I am so relieved to be pain free.  I can get up and down stairs and have a normal life again.  For some of us it is does seem to be a much slower process, but you will get there.  I had co-codamol for the pain which helped and I used a lot of ice packs.  

One day you will look back and think I am so glad I had my hip done, I swore that day would never come for me, but it really did.  Nothing wrong with having a good cry either.   

Best wishes 

• Posted

Hi there.

That's really good!! When did you stop walking un aided?. Thank-you for your comment really appreciate it means a lot.

Thanks

Megan x

• Posted

It does get better, but it is a very long and unpleasant recovery ..... often one step forward, two backward, before striding ahead again to recovery.

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.