Pain after hip replacement

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hi all sorry I keep posting. I was wounding how much till the pain goes away from the replacement. I found it really difficult getting out of bed this morning I burst into tears to be honest now i wish I never got it done. They only tablets they have gave me are dispersible aspirin and paracetamol. It's only been a hate since I've got home i thought that it will get better as the days go on.

Any advice

Thanks

Megan

1 like, 47 replies

47 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

awww megan ..... 

it is so scary, isn't it ? and you sprained your ankle too ... 

your leg will feel heavy (like an alien appendix) for a couple of days - is the injured ankle of operated leg?  

is your bed the correct height?  is it the lifting or turning ... how were you taught to do this? 

I agree , you probably need stronger pain medication at this point - 

Can you mother call the ward, or OS , someone who can authorize stronger meds?

Sending you healing rays

big warm hug

renee

• Posted

Yeah my leg is so heavy. I was tough how to get in and out of bed I have a remote control bed like the hospital beds. Plus it's hard as ' my good leg' as that hip needs replac too. My mum found stronger painkillers for me for the now that are helping so far she is going to call the GP on Monday.

Once again thank-you

• Posted

Hi Megan,

I really feel.for you, I have been given Tramadol, paracetamol, naproxen

and abstention. I think you need to phone your GP to be reassessed

Good luck

• Posted

Hi there

Thank-you it a bit weird how they only gave me that.

Megan x

• Posted

My heart goes out to you.....and don't be sorry to be posting!! That's what we are all here for to lift each other up offer support and our experiences to each other. I feel the same way! I'm 12 days in now and I too was hoping things would be feeling better than they did prior to surgery!! Yesterday's pt was brutal! The walking outside wasn't too bad but climbing up 4 stairs was painful not to mention when my therapist had me do standing exercises. The marching was what got me!! The pain I got from putting weight on my operated leg was so painful. It went away after rest but I every time I got up to walk it was painful!! I cry when no one sees and feel like you and wish I never did this....but I'm told it will get better. We gotta be positive and have faith. Hugs to you that things will get better for you. ????????

• Posted

Oh and my first week home I was so sick. Was nauseous and could barely eat. But that's gotten better. So I know you will get better too!! Yea ask for better pain meds and best of luck!! ??

• Posted

Hi Linda

Yeah I love this as I know I am not alone. Aww sorry to here that, do you go to the hospital for excrise or?how is your walking? Do you feel better at all ? It' almost a week for me it will be a week on Monday for me. Sorry to here about you been sick to, it's annoying but a lot of people say it's worth it and I have been waiting 8 years for a hip replacement. I got my right done first still need to get my left but I'll see how my right goes first. Are you still in a lot of pain?

Thank-you for the comment I hope your recover well too??Xxxx

• Posted

I have pt come to my house 3x week. Walking is still painful when I bear weight. The pain meds help to take edge off but it still hurts that's when I get to feeling down and I have cried on several occasions. I dot want my family to see me though. My husband has been great waiting on me and the therapist says I'm doing good to dot feel down but it's hard. I wish you all the best!! ????

• Posted

I had my right one done too!! My left is good. I was born with dysphasia of my right hip. And it wasn't until about 2 yrs ago that I really started having a lot of pain and difficulty getting around. Dr had me do pt, use a cane & shoe lift.

• Posted

Hi Linda.

That's good about the PT. I only had PT in hospital so I don't know if I am going to get people out of going to appointments not 100% sure yet. That's good about your husband that's like my boyfriend he's really support. I have avascular nervous of both hips. That's weird how we both had our right done. I still need to get my left. They didn't want to do it till I was 30 but I was in to much pain and they let me have it earlier. I use crutches

Megan xxx

• Posted

I am so sorry you are having a tough time Megan, we are all here to listen and support you.   I am pre op so not much to add other than I am scared to death of the car as well, they talk about sending me home the day after surgery for a posteior incision. I wish you well, I think below I saw you did get some better meds, I am hoping it helps.  I know we need to heal but still do out exercises and without proper pain management that will hinder you. Sorry I am from the US so I know our terms in language may be a bit different. Sending you much love and well wishes for speedy healing.  xxoo Annette
    • Posted

Hi Annette I guess it's only the being so I need to think positive and look forward to the days ahead. Yeah it will be challenge but I am ready!. To be honest with you it was hell for me to get in and out the car the first time, hopefully it will get easier. Yeah I got stronger painkillers it's a lot better. Don't need to say sorry smile

Megan xxxx

• Posted

Hang in there Meghan. It is still very early post op and the surgery is a huge deal in your life. I agree with others that you should be getting stronger pain, anti inflammatory meds as controlling the pain is a key.  It is normal to get emotional, crying too as things can seem overwhelming at times. It will get better. Post anytime as you have lots of support here.

Take Care,

Cathy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.