Pain after hip replacement

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am 46 year old female, I had a full (ceramic) hip replacement 2 1/2 weeks ago. I am finding the pain relief doesn't quite work enough to keep me comfortable. When the tablets wear off I cannot begin to describe the pain/weakness I feel in my thigh, its so bad I nearly passed out today, excruciating is putting it mildly it takes my breath away!!! I have been told to only partially weight bear for 6 weeks using crutches, when it gets that bad I am only putting my toes down with no weight through my leg. Is this normal?

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am starting 3 weeks P O and can hardly do any exercises or walking. I told my

Doc & he said: "He couldn't prescribe anything else. That is not true....I've been on higher doses then 500 mg of Percocet for lesser surgerys. It's probably why my

my pain is still at max level. I'm getting spasms now, is this normal?

• Posted

That does not sound normal but everyone is different. What kind of hip did You get put in? I have ceramic on ceramic
  • Posted

Msmarcie I had terrible pain the first 3weeks. I did only moving leg left to right in bed and back and forth standing on good leg but not overdone as I had too much pain. I was in bed most of the time for that period as I felt exhausted and tired of the pain. Whenever I had my leg down I experienced awful spasms in my leg going to the toilet was an ordeal as I knew my leg was going to go into spasm. Don't know the reason for having them but I have not had anymore since the fist 3 weeks. It was torture and I was in tears. I am sure you will recover from it. I dont know if the pain get easier but I suppose as the operation site starts to heal tthe body will relax. up to now because of my othet netve problem I have only walked about 50 yards on 2 crutches. I hsve become a hermit. Too scared to go out incase I fall so hoping when I get brace I will be more confident.
  • Posted

Oh wow DEBBIE I'm so sorry for your experience. I also have ceramic on cerstrengthand as of right now, my leg hurts more than pre op. prescribedsurgery was going tough one as far as healing, however I never imagined I'd be dealing with

more

problems. My leg turns in now...and I fight to walk straight but I have no strength

to pull outward.

Ps. Moira you really scare me. I just spoke to my Doc and spasms are normal. Its part of healing. And also Tramadol is one of the most prescribed medication after hip replacement, I don't know why they would tell you that.

• Posted

I was taking tramadol before my op and was discharged on it. I am doing really well, having very little pain. I have never been told tramadol affects bone healing , if it helps you manage to exercise, then that has to be beneficial. I had a ceramic on ceramic hip replacement and it has changed my outlook and life in many ways .
  • Posted

Sorry guys it was diclofenac or voltoral I was on not tramadol it is it that interferes with bone healing
  • Posted

Have you had any physio yet msmarcie? Or seen your surgeon.You need some advice. Perhaps you have nerve damage preventing you to control your muscle that keeps your leg straight. Or you may ha ve weak muscle from under use leading up to your replacement. Iam like you in a wose position than prior to the op. I have not asked what type of hip though I do know its not metal on metal. Think I will ask tomorrow! I have to lifty lower leg with my hand as it does not move at all anymore! I wonder how Helen is getting on ?
  • Posted

DEBBIE I have seen my surgeon, and he said just what you said. That my muscles are weak so they can't hold my leg straight. It's gonna take time. I guess we panic when even one thing seems wrong. Even being on this Forum is scary. I stopped

taking my Tramadol till I saw my Dr. Because of what someone said on here. It's

still good to share. Just don't take situations as fact. Btw: I read my first reply to

you, and it was a mess. Sorry bout that. I didn't proof read. Keep letting us know

how your doing. I'm wishing things will get better, real Soon.

Thanks RACHELL, I'M currently on it as well.

• Posted

Marcie good to hear its only weak muscle, have you been given exercise from physio? This forum has also helped me. I have got my leg support and its great to be able to walk around home without crutches and not falling on the floor without warning. I am hoping that my nerve will repair as surgeon says about 9 months for part of my leg lower half a bit longer. I am also aware that some do not go back as before so I am praying the nerve is not too damaged. Bad luck for me femoral nerve damage is rare after hip surgery. Don't worry about spelling etc. My typing is on the phone and make many errors!

• Posted

I am 64, female, and had my left hip replaced 10 days ago... I find it amazing that what u wrote, Helen, is MY story as well. i did great in recovery and was released to go home after 24 hours! I was truly feeling great. I was seen by a nurse and began PT immediately. 2 days later i was in quite a bit more pain, leg & hip very swollen. As the next few days went by I experienced excriciating pain and I asked my surgeon for a Doppler ultrasound because  I was afraid of blood clots. that test came out normal which made me happy. It did nothing for my pain and I can empathize with you, Helen, on how I can barely stand the pain when even partial weight bearing brings me to tears. My answer to your question is, "No this pain is not norrmal. Does anyone out there have advice? 
  • Posted

My thoughts are with you Helen, you're not alone in this although I bet you feel you are?! I'm 53 & had ceramic/ceramic right hip replacement on 20/6/14 just 4 days ago, I came home after a 3 night stay. I wanted to stay put because I knew there was no way I could replicate the comfort I was having in hospital & that's been the case so far, man alive the pain! I found this web site just now. I'm doing the recommended exercises from the Physio & my pain meds are 400mg of Ibuprofen & Paracetamol, I'll have to get something stronger. My hip wasn't cemented or screwed so how's it held in? I forgot to ask the surgeon! I suppose like most people I'm inpatient & want to see things improve daily, how long before swelling comes down guys? 

I must say each & everyone of you are an inspiration whether you've had it relatively  easy or impossibly hard! We ARE all different & so are our bodies. I never really had pre op pain much, just no movement in the damn thing, but boy, the pain is there now! Keep going guys!

• Posted

Hello.

I just want to let you know that I had my second total hip replacement surgery ONE MONTH AGO and I have been able to walk without a walker and just barely use a cane after 3 weeks!  This is my second surgery and the recovery is unbelievably easy this time!  The secret is in the PAIN MANAGEMENT after the surgery.  Most patients are afraid to overdose on pain killers however, it makes a big difference to have the correct pain management pills to make it through the first three weeks after the surgery.  I found that if you can control the pain and not let it control you...then you are on the road to recovery.  The previous hip surgery was painful and uncomfortable and it took me almost 6 weeks before I was able to drive and get around without a walker.  This time its only 3 weeks and I feel great.  Remember that YOU are in control of the pain...not the pain...Trust me.  Take the pain killers to relieve the pain and then after 4 weeks you will be on the road to recovery.  I am 62 years old and feel great!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.