Pain after kidney removal

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had my left kidney removed due to finding a tumour on it. This was due to pain on my right rear side feeling as if I had pulled or torn a muscle in this side. Anything like Hoover or moping would activate it. After 8mths I looked into it. Diagnosed via scans. Then having removed the left kidney an lymph node and cancerous tumour, and now just over 3months I'm still getting discomfort on my right kidney rear and at the front lower side. I have not been told by anyone why I had the pain in the 1st place on the opposite side to having tumour and what to expect as you recover from the surgery. I have been very good in not o we doing things and ensuring hydration is a must. Does the other kidney grow to compensate? Is this grumbling pain normal? How long does it take for the discomfort to dissipate? Any help would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I similarly had a kidney removed due to a tumour found on a scan- on the right in my case.  I had not had significant pain before the removal, but did have pain after the op in various places in my abdomen.  At about 6 months the pains had more or less gone, though sometimes I do feel something, and I put it down to the Haemo clips that are left in there, rubbing on things.

With luck you may find that you get similar improvement.  I am now much more careful with diet, hydration and meds as one finds that many things can impact remaining function!

Best of luck,

KenR

• Posted

Thank you KenR I'm hoping this will be the case. But it is strange that to have pain on the opposite side to where the tumour was. I was told by lots of people that it maybe referred pain. But no one in the medical profession has told me anything. Glad to hear you are on the mend. And hope you still stay clear in the future.smile

• Posted

Hi,

My friend had a kidney removed to give it to me via key hole, it was 6 months plus before all of what you are describing started to get better.  She said about grumbling etc just like you.  I can't tell you exactly when you will feel better as we are all different but what I can promise you is what you are feeling is exactly what my friend described to me.  Remember key hole is still invasive and taking a kidney out is still a massive thing, give yourself a break you will get there soon.  Hope this helps x

• Posted

Hi Stubsy, i'm interested to see if you had an answer to the pain? Im 54 now but last septtember i had a quivering in my right side, shortly after i was seeing red and went to the Dr. He booked a ultra sound and in Dec a tumor on my left kidney was found and the kidney removed. I was surprised when they said the left kidney because of the sensations on the right side. Still to this day i have pain or sensations on the right side. Like someone had a screw driver betwen two ribs and were spreading them. I am doing my 6 month check up this month. i'll let you know if i have any answers.

Gord

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.