pain after knee surgery

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a knee replacement 3weeks ago. This week the pain is unbearable . I am not a one for taking pills, but I am taking tramadol and paracetamol. I have gone back to work, it is a desk job. If I don't work we don't eat.is anyone able to tell me if this is normal. Cheers x

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'd imagine that three weeks is awfully early to go back to work?  Even with a desk job, you're unlikely to be able to elevate and ice your knee constantly and it's still such early days of healing.  But if you really have to go back to work, I can only suggest sorting out something so your leg is supported  completely, and elevated to hip height, and where you can ice regularly.  I breezed through the op but at three weeks was still resting all day with elevation and ice (and eating cake)!  I was avoiding car journeys of any length as far as possible too.  Good luck with it!!!!

• Posted

Hi Marie,poor you.You need to seek medical advise.We are all at different levels of healing.Rest. Please get as much rest,Ice packs,& heat as well.Instead of painkillers,Turmeric from the health food shop in wonderful,also cherry juice very good,& pineapple juice.regards Amanda

• Posted

Agree with Chris, think it's a bit too early to be back at work, you will have a lot of ups and downs pain and tightness. Please read what Chris has wrote he is spot on.Take care.

• Posted

You are very brave to be back at work!! At 3 weeks I was still pretty much living in my recliner.  Only going out to PT and not liking to sit with my leg down for any length of time. Can not imagine sitting at a desk all day.. please take the advice of Chris if you must work.. Best wishes
  • Posted

Oh my goodness, back to work at 3 weeks, I couldn't even imagine that at your stage. I was still resting, doing my physio, icing and elevating and sleeping all the time as I felt exhausted. 

I'm now 9 weeks post op and still couldn't imagine going back to work and my consultant has given me another sick note for another 2 months as I still find sitting with my leg down uncomfortable after a while. 

I was taking Tramadol, paracetamol and ibuprofen up until 3 weeks ago. I stopped the Tramadol as it was making me feel very gloomy and a bit depressed which unbeknown to me is one of its side effects and some doctors prescribe an antidepressant along side it.

I take my hat off to you for going back to work so soon but I really think you should be letting your body heal by sleeping and resting.

All the best ... I hope you're ok

• Posted

My boss is allowing me to work from home for the next few week.

The painkillers make me a bit light headed, but they are far better than the oxycodone I was getting in hospital. They sent me round the bend.

• Posted

You can't be driving "lightheaded".  Very dangerous.  Please don't do that.

• Posted

Take most powerful thing prescribed and take it as prescribed. T k r time is not when one should be trying for martyrdom when it comes to taking meds. This is a. Iolent and traumatic surgery. You must be as close to pain free as possible to properly do exercises and rehab. Trying to do anything other is extending pain and recovery. Trust me, 21 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs has been a pretty good education. Hydrate, elevate, ice and test.....lots of rest are so part of the formula
  • Posted

"...the pain is unbearable." - NORMAL

"I had a knee replacement 3 weeks ago...I have gone back to work." - NOT NORMAL

People go back to work in the 6-9 MONTH range...some a bit sooner.  But three weeks?  On an opioid?  TKR survivors just don't do that.  ...and I literally mean survivors.  This is a brutal operation with a very long recovery time.  You need to talk to your doc.  

• Posted

Hi Marie,

?So sorry about your dilemma - 3 weeks is far too early.

?My timeline was -  out of hospital in 3 days post op with a 90 degree bend already, then dressing removed at 10 days post op, back to PT for reassessment at 18 days post op and back to surgeon at 8 weeks for his assessment and OK to return to work and drive a car again and back to work - a phased return to work at 11 weeks (I drive buses). All the time up to 8 weeks I was on pain relief medication, and the nearer I got to 8 weeks the less and less pain meds I consumed. After 8 weeks only as I needed - which wasn't often. Up to 8 weeks I was constantly moving around and on crutches, elevating and icing and all my exercises were done at home, depending on the exercise up to and sometimes more than 5 or 6 times a day, some exercises were lying down some were sitting in a chair. Off crutches at 8 weeks. I was 71 at the time of surgery and drive mini tourist buses for a living. All that - and I only had a partial knee replacement.

?You need to take some medical advice regarding work and recovery.

John

• Posted

Hi Marie,

You are a braver woman than me but guess if financially you need to then you have to get on with it. It's very painful to start with and it must be hard.

The only thing I'd say take your painkillers, ice and elevate at your desk and ensure you do your rehab even in your lunch break. My concern would be if in the long run you might be slowing your recovery down and get to the point where you are having to be off. Not sure if you are UK or USA. If your UK you should get statutory sick pay and surely allowance for any kids?

I'm 16 weeks post not going back until 18 weeks post and then phased but active job. Even with a desk job it seems madness at 3 weeks you need rest and rehab.

I really hope you get on well keep us posted.

Best wishes Jan x

• Posted

Hi Marie -I'm 2.5 weeks out from a TKR and I have had a lot of pain since. I cannot imagine how you are managing to work this soon. We are recommended 12 weeks recovery here in the UK, I don't know where you are located. But the increased pain is surely a sign of too much too soon and while I understand you need to work, you could set yourself back in recovery if the knee does not heal normally.

?We have had bone removed and it is similar to a broken leg in time to heal (6 weeks for bones) not to mention the tissue, nerve, ligament, muscle trauma. I have posted asking about pain levels on here and everyone has been most helpful in reassuring me. I'm sure you will have some wise advice.

?Could you work from home or do less hours? Is there no provision for taking any sick leave or time off? I hope you can find a solution. I have struggled with pain control myself and the pain meds do not agree with me. I have been advised to keep applying ice and elevate the leg as much as possible as this does help the pain and swelling.

Best wishes, Cynthia

• Posted

Hi Cynthia,

I have just read what I wrote, I was in terrible pain at the time. I only work 3 days a week behind a desk, I have spoken to my boss this morning on the phone and asked if I can work from home for a while and she said I could. Thanks everyone for there kind words.

• Posted

Marie, I'm relieved for you.  Make sure you rest as much as possible, and keep that knee elevated with support all along the leg, and use ice often.  I really am truly relieved for you!  It sounded a dreadful predicament!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.