Pain after lumbar discectomy L5/S1

Posted , 12 users are following.

I had a lumbar microdiscectomy 6 days ago and the pain was okay, well I thought it was but I just tried to lift my leg and it now hurts like it did before....my surgeon said there might still be some leg pain after surgery but surely they would have been straight after? Am I worrying too much? 

i am diabetic by the way 

2 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello there, I just had l5 s1 surgery done. now it has been one week now. I still have to pain that I had before surgery but less. Id like to know what your experice about how long does it take to get to pain away? First I thought the pain would go away right after surgery. Is having that pain still is normal? Thank you 
  • Posted

I has micro discectomy 12 days ago L4 L% far lateral herniation. I have only taken celebrez and advil. However, I have a lot of pain in my thigh and knee, specially at night (does not let me sleep). Shoyld I take Oxocodone? The doctor told me to take it only if needed. Since my pain has gotten bad in my thigh (fortunately, pain iin other area of legs have disappeared since the surgery. Shoudl I take Oxicodone? 
  • Posted

Hello! I'm new to this. I am 2 weeks post op L5-S1 laminectomy & partial discectomy. How long are we suppose to be on pain medicine? I was on Percocet which did wonders. I recently asked for something less strong (Norco). I took it, but it has done nothing! When my pain is well managed, I am able to move around a lot more. Was it too soon to get something less in strength. I took Norco prior to surgery. I am always tense with the BLT precautions. I am taking flexeril for the muscle spasms. Do I need to ask for the Percocet? I know I will have pain, but she should tolerable for me to get around.

• Posted

Hi I had lumbar discetomy l 45 6 weeks ago and my leg pain disappeared straight away but then aweek later came back and was worried but after two nights it went and now have no leg pain at all

It is so normal to have some nerve pain as they take a while to settle so don't worry

I have now though right hand side in my back a ache every day I feel lopsided it was the same side oh my leg where I had dreadful pain before surgery anyone any ideas please

• Posted

I had trouble with my back back in October. I had a cortizone shot and it did nothing for me. Took muscle relaxers and pain killers. I finally had surgery on May 5th. I still have days where it just about kills me with the pain. It is like having a leg cramp that won't go away. I am on pain killers, muscle relaxers, and have been taking 2 antibiotics because I had a little fever after surgery. I have tried not to bend, and twist but it is so hard to do. I got a lift chair to help me and I sleep on my side. I get up and walk quite a bit and I wear the back brace just about all day long. I am Hoping the pain won't last much longer because I really don't think I can stand it much longer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.