Pain after lumbar fusion.....how long does it last?!!!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone! I'm new to any kind of forums but I just had a lumbar 4-5 spinal fusion a little over 3 weeks ago and feel like I should be in less pain by now. I can only sleep 2-3 hours at a time before waking up miserable again. I'm so sleep deprived that I know it's making it worse. I take Diazepam 5mg every 12 hours and Oxycodone 10mg every 6 hours and I do get relief but it seems to last less than 2-3 hours. I'm only 42 years old and have a busy job as an emergency nurse and director of an air ambulance company and cannot even imagine trying to work like this. I was expecting to be back to work at 6 weeks but I can barely shower at this point, it takes everything I have in me! Is there anyone out there that can give me some idea of a recovery time? Are my expectations too high, do you think I'm doing too much with laundry, cooking, cleaning and its making it worse? The NP told me at my 2 week check up to start increasing my activities so I'm trying to do my normal household duties. I just need to talk to someone that has been through this. I feel like such a nuisance to my family, I cry every day and I'm ready to put this behind me. Can anyone share their experience and provide any guidance on if there is light at the end of the tunnel or not? Thank you so much in advance!!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi

just wondering how you are getting on. I am waiting for a date to get this L4/5 fusion in February or March and am trying to find out how others get on following the surgery.

i hope things have improved for you and you are sleeping better

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.