Pain after meniscus knee surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a knee arthroscopy in February and thought if was all going well. but I started my physio a few weeks ago and was doing ok, but now have serious stabbing pain in the front of my knee when going up the stairs, I struggle to put weight on it going up the stairs but not coming down.

I have good movement in the knee but the pain is too much, feels like ive gone ten steps back!!

anybody else had the same symptoms??

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had the same procedure as you and was offered nhs physio but only once a month which wasnt enough. I struggled with pain and could not bear weight or bend it straight and was not walking normal. In the end i paid to go private and she gave me the correct excercising to do 3 times a day. She explained i was walking incorrectly which was causing me pain. Just paid once and she gave me very good advice how to walk right and a series of excercises which helped me. Hope this may help you.

• Posted

cheers Finley

I'm back the gp tomorrow so see what he says, if I have to pay to go private I will do!!

• Posted

Hi i also went in December, have been suffering with severe pain, walking normal and stairs. Going back to dr for second opinion. just sleeping at night with a bend knee is causing aevere pain.

• Posted

I'm ok sleeping , I wasn't before the operation but now it's ok. it's just the going up stairs causing the pain which is literraly unbearable.

I'm back the gp tomorrow so see what he says.

• Posted

oh my gosh Steven...I am so sorry you are still having pain i am 2 weeks post op for meniscus tears in my right knee and some cartilage scraped. I am still very swollen, the bruising is down i am having excruciating pain when bending, twisting putting pressure on it . I am a single mom of two Autistic kids, a service dog and a 3 story townhome . I am icong daily still...but it is excruciating at times. I saw my surgeon for my 2 week post op today...and he basically said it will get better in 6-8 weeks just take tylenol and start Pt next week. I am just curious if anyone else is having similar symptoms and if they are still using pain meds to help aftet the surgery? If I am just being a whimp then I will suck it up! I appreciate any others feesback and wish speesy recovery to everyone! THANKS, MICHELLE

• Posted

Well Michelle I've just started back to work on 20th May!

had the op on 18th Feb, so overall took 3 months to be really better.

The pain will ease off more and he more comfortable after about 6 weeks probably. I think my mistake was expecting too much too soon, just rest it and don't twist or bend it, just normal walking.

also the physio is a must, build those quads up just above your knee. that is what caused my discomfort weeks later, not enough muscle support for the knee!

Hope this helps

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.