Pain after MUA

Posted , 11 users are following.

I had MUA four weeks ago followed by physical therapy three times a week. The pain is much worse than it was before MUA and,although I did gain some movement straight up, I lost movement with rotation. That seems to get worse the more I work on it. Has anyone else experienced these problems following MUA? If so, what did you do? Is there more surgery involved?

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HI connie428 I'm 15 days post MUA and I've been dealing with a lot of pain and swelling from my shoulder to my elbow and down into my hand. I hav ed PT 3x@week plus a line chair that I have to use 3x@day for 20min I feel like I'm going to lose my mind... I want to know how much longer this will all continue....

• Posted

Hi Cheryl..I had my surgery Nov 22. continue to have pain and also swelling but only in lower arm at my wrist. I have stopped Physical therapy as my plan rolled over to new year so I i have to pay 80/20 % so I only went first three days in January to get more excerises in my head...I continue to exercise at home I am getting some relief but I cannot go behind my back or extend my arm over my head from the side of my body..15 days is too early.. continue doing everything they say.. My ortho is pleased with my progress as I could not raise my arm at all...I need to retrain my bicep as it has atrophied from lack of use and that is where most of my pain is..good luckk,,
    • Posted

Hi Cheryl,

My MUA was on December 20. I am finally seeing results and the pain has lessened. I still have very little external rotation or movement behind my back, but we continue to chip away at it. I still go to PT three times a week. Adding neck stretching exercises seems to have been the key for me. Almost immediately the pain that radiated down my arm to my elbow and wrist went away. The first month was terrible, but it does get better. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi

I didn't start to get arm up back until about 7 weeks after MUA. ..we all get there in the end..

• Posted

Hi. I am 4 weeks today from my MUA surgery. I have been dealing with my shoulder since September. Did all the therapy and only saw minimal results. I'm a hairdresser and working was becoming impossible. Since surgery I am better. But the last week I am getting pain again back down my arm. My bicep pain and elbow pain. Also struggle with my neck I was told yesterday to back off my exercise and just to stretch. There isn't anything I have tried from Rubbing compounds to pain relievers that takes it away. It is comforting to read all the post to know I'm not alone. Because it Makes Me Crazy. I hope we can all put our heads together and find something that works. Please keep in touch. I will do the same. I'm only 45. And I'm active. But this has changed my activity in life. And I hate it. To answer someone else's question about having the surgery. I wished I would have done it sooner. Even though I still have pain. I can at least use my arm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.